Any monitor and dvd drive suggestions?

ascvdth

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
i wondering if anyone could recommend some monitors to me? i would like a monitor for watching movies and gaming. I have a geforce gtx 770 graphics card and don't have plans to upgrade anytime soon. the monitor i have now is Acer G6 Series G246HLAbd Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor and don't want to go below this ones size. i will be willing to pay $320 for the monitor but its okay if it a bit over.the dvd drive on the other hand, i don't care about that much i just want a cheap one that works and won't break easy. my case is Thermaltake Chaser A31 VP300A5W2N Blue SECC ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case and style i don't care about as much as long as it looks ok with the case. does anyone have any suggestions?:bounce:

Solution
G
I haven't had any problems with my tv, even though it is one of the cheapest POS brands there is, emerson. 50 inch is a little too big for my eyes at 2.5 feet, at three no problems. the main differences with using a tv comes down to pixel size. a 1080 50 inch has the same number of pixels as a 24 1080 screen, just a tad bigger. go out look at screens from the distance you are now from your screen. let your eyes tell you what you need. I got this on black friday for 3 hours of conversational time (waiting in line) and 218 bucks. I did get the extended warranty, it is an emerson. I like having my TV/Main monitor/ps3 screen all be the same. setup your second monitor and you will have access to your pc even while playing or watching on the...
G

how often do you use the dvd drive? maybe an external model that could only be visible when in use then easily put away, where it will be powered off. I have had drives die on me from not enough usage. each reboot power cycles the dvd drives and can wear them out even it you do not use them.
My monitor setup is as follows 50 inch led TV as my main/gaming monitor, and a 25 inch widescreen as my secondary. it is nice being able to game from my bed.

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Most DVD drives these days are quite reliable. Given they're also pretty cheap, you won't have to worry about breakage. Any of them should last you at least a couple of years and wouldn't set you back much to replace.

I myself use an HP Pavilion 27bw IPS panel that I'm quite happy with. It's a good all around panel for everyday computing, movies, graphics work and decent for gaming as well. There's so many monitors out there though that it really comes down to preference. See if you can go to any local store near you that has multiple models on display and ask if you can possibly test them out with different types of content. Read lots of reviews as well, see what fits into your budget and go with what you're happy with. At the end of the day, despite what anyone suggests, your own eyes will be your best judge.

ascvdth

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

I dont use My dvd drive much at all... if they can break from not enough usage then i must have a external one. any recommendations? also what monitor do you have, link? Also i heard that using a tv as main gaming screen is worse then a monitor, is this true? Thank you for answering!:D

ascvdth

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

Thank you this helps a lot!:D

G

I haven't had any problems with my tv, even though it is one of the cheapest POS brands there is, emerson. 50 inch is a little too big for my eyes at 2.5 feet, at three no problems. the main differences with using a tv comes down to pixel size. a 1080 50 inch has the same number of pixels as a 24 1080 screen, just a tad bigger. go out look at screens from the distance you are now from your screen. let your eyes tell you what you need. I got this on black friday for 3 hours of conversational time (waiting in line) and 218 bucks. I did get the extended warranty, it is an emerson. I like having my TV/Main monitor/ps3 screen all be the same. setup your second monitor and you will have access to your pc even while playing or watching on the other screen.
http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-LF501EM4F-Class-1080p-HDTV/dp/B00NAB7U0E

as for an optical something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151271
inside of this http://www.amazon.com/External-Enclosure-Connetor-Notebook-included/dp/B00274HQY0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430267242&sr=8-2&keywords=external+dvd+enclosure
basically any usb2.0 enclosure. USB 3 is a waste of bandwidth on an optical drive. you could buy one already setup as external. with the use you will be giving it any one really will work fine.

Solution