Question Any obvious problems with this build?

Ludo_Down

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
CPU: AMD AM4 Ryzen 1800X Eight-Core
GPU: Radeon RX 850
MBO: Asus Prime B540-Plus
RAM: 2x8 DDR4 (Viper)
PSU: EVGA 650w B5 Bronze 80+
Boot drive: Sony 256 GB SSD
I have been having a recurring issue with this build, which persists after several component swaps. The only component I have had the entire time I've been having this issue is the SSD drive. I was originally on an AM3 chip and an older MoBo and GPU (don't remember which) with and the same SSD but a 1TB HDD as well and 2x4 GB RAM. The HDD stopped booting properly so it was removed from the equation and things were working normally. I upgraded to AM4 CPU and Mobo about 2 years ago and if memory serves this is when the issue began.

The issue has been difficult to diagnose. The computer would spontaneously restart at extremely random times. These were not typical restarts: the screen would go black and I would hear the same clicking sound as when the computer shuts off, fan lights powered down... But then less than 2 seconds later the screen would go right back to what I was doing, without even requiring a Windows log-in. If I am in Discord when this happens I have to hang up and reconnect before I can hear anyone and before they can hear me. Otherwise, everything would be uninterrupted. A game that was running would still be running and not paused at all, for example. I researched the issue but never found anything, and it didn't happen that often so I wasn't too worried about it. I never lost any unsaved work because these are not your standard shut-offs or hanging/freezing. They don't show up in the Windows error log. About one year ago the MoBo died. One such shutoff occurred but it was permanent and didn't resolved until the MoBo was replaced. Naturally I assumed a faulty mobo was the problem all along. Then the issue continued until a few months ago when my PSU died. Again, the spontaneous shutoff happened as usual but the computer wouldn't power back on. Jumper on the 24 pin confirmed the PSU was dead, so I replaced it with the one listed above and it worked again.... But the restarts were still happening!! I replaced the graphics card (was a Radeon HD 8950) but that hasn't changed things either. What is going on?? Is there a glaring incompatibility or a part that's known to have this problem on this list? Is it even possible that an SSD could cause this issue? I know it's limiting in terms of space but could that lead to anything like this?

As a little extra information, I have disconnected the case from the motherboard to make sure this wasn't just some kind of wiring issue. The problem has been happening for years now with the case connected to the motherboard (I have confirmed this was done correctly) so I recently thought maybe the case was sending a false signal that the power button had been pressed. However, the problem continues even without the case connected. I also began to suspect electrical problems but that seems to be ruled out based on responses to a previous thread.

Wolfshadw

Titan
First obvious issue is that you're from the future as the RX-850 graphics card and B540 motherboards do not exist yet ;)
I'm assuming you mean the Radeon RX-580 and B450.

First thing I would ask would be that I see a lot of system upgrades, but never any mention of a clean install of Windows and you say this issue began when you upgraded to an AM4 Motherboard/CPU/RAM.

-Wolf sends

Ludo_Down

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Haha you are right about the number swaps typo. You are also probably right that I didn't do a clean install of windows after the AM4 upgrade. I definitely didn't do one after the new graphics card. Windows 10 has required that I do some kind of renewed verification after any hardware changes so I assumed that was accounting for the hardware changes. I'm guessing this should be my next step in troubleshooting?

Ludo_Down

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Yes. A clean install of Windows would be the first step I'd take in this matter.

-Wolf sends
Well this had an interesting effect but the problem continues. First of all anytime the resets happened during the process of re-installation, the whole process was cancelled and reverted, so it took several tries to get this done. I don't know if that tells anyone anything. But even with the clean install it still happens, though it seems to have changed the way the issue occurs: about half the time it looks the same way as before, but now sometimes the program I am using crashes and Windows goes to the restart warning screen (ie these programs are still running, are you sure you want to restart?) and I can cancel it before it restarts. The only idea I can come up with is my SSD is rather small and about half of the space is filled by Windows 10 alone.... it doesn't seem like this would cause spontaneous resetting. Ever heard of that?

Ludo_Down

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
A Reset is not a Clean Install. Clean install means creating new Windows Media Install USB to boot from, format the drive, and install Windows.

-Wolf sends
Yes, I did the a full clean install from a USB. I did not format the drive separately, but isn't this part of the process of the install? It certainly did wipe everything clean so I think so. I was using the term reset to refer to the spontaneous resetting my build has been having problems with.

Wolfshadw

Titan
When the install asks you where to install Windows, there is an "Advanced" option. Here you will find the option to format the install location. This is the only way to perform a "Clean" install (no residue of a previous install).

-Wolf sends

Ludo_Down

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
wow thank you I will try that!
When the install asks you where to install Windows, there is an "Advanced" option. Here you will find the option to format the install location. This is the only way to perform a "Clean" install (no residue of a previous install).

-Wolf sends
So there doesn't appear to be an advanced option anymore. The only option I get aside from accept/decline terms is to "change what you keep" and the options are: apps and files, personal files only, and nothing. I chose nothing this last time that I installed from USB. Is that the same thing as formatting the drive? If not then I don't think formatting the drive is an option held within this installation method. Is there another way of getting it accomplished?