Any one with a AMD FX proccesor! or experianced a proccesor die on them!

GTX karl

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
HI, so yeah I built my own rig with a amd fx 6300 it ran fine and all that until one day it crashed on me in game but it had never ever skipped a beat before this so I tried to reboot and it wouldn't do anything at all not even in safe mode so after a full day of trying to figure out the problem I took it to my local pc shop and they said the problem was my processor had totally died! :O.

Bare in mind it was only 4 month old if that, I used really dear paste and a good top of the line cooler.

any one know why this could have happened, I have never overclocked it at all I use a program called speed fan to keep temps down on idle it was at 26C and under stress and I mean playing bf3 for 4 hours straight on it was 52C my case has 4 120mm fans so there was no overheating. Also I never messed on with any of the voltages all I did was unlock the 6th core and enable the boost.

I have upgraded to a FX 8350 now and hope things go well any one else had any trouble with any cpu doing this before not just amd?

Solution

Yes it sucks that the CPU died after 4 months and low temps, but it happens.

I'd think if only 4 months old you might be able to approach AMD about warrenty... wouldn't surprise me if they offer a 6/12/24 (?) month warranty on CPU's.

It could also have happened if you have poor power delivery - what's the brand/age/wattage of your PSU? (and what GPU are you running)

menetlaus

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007

Yes it sucks that the CPU died after 4 months and low temps, but it happens.

I'd think if only 4 months old you might be able to approach AMD about warrenty... wouldn't surprise me if they offer a 6/12/24 (?) month warranty on CPU's.

It could also have happened if you have poor power delivery - what's the brand/age/wattage of your PSU? (and what GPU are you running)

Solution

GTX karl

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
erm I have a GTX 690 and a 1000w corsair psu I have 2 512gb SSD's and yeah I been playing on battlefield 3 with it all day :) I have noticed i have gained around 11FPs with it but nothing really eye opening just glad to be back playing. but no I was just asking a question to se if it has ever happened to ay one else I could imagine this happening with a really old and worn cpu but not a basically brand new one.

8350rocks

Distinguished

The warranty on a processor is voided if you overclock...

However, AMD's warranty on their Processor-in-box CPUs, are 5 years for non OEM models (retail CPUs). So if you bought your CPU from newegg or whomever...you have a 5 year warranty on it from AMD barring you should ever overclock it and ruin it that way.

I would like to comment here as well, in almost 20 years of use from AMD CPUs, I have personally never had one "die". I have had AMD CPUs since the K6-II 300 MHz, and I did have an Intel CPU "die" on me at one point. It was a Pentium III in a laptop...it actually got so hot that the heatsink was *fused* onto the CPU. It was really weird, in fact, and Compaq warrantied the repair. Though the techs themselves couldn't figure out why it had gotten that hot...there was no clear reason for it.