Any other games as fast as Quake?

Are there any other games, old or new, that have gameplay as fast as
quake - in particular threewave? The reason I've never been able to
get into a newer game is that after you've played quake, everything
else seems like snails having a camping fest. In ever other FPS game
I've ever seen, you see your enemy a mile away and there's no chance to
close that range, so you snipe. If someone does have to close the
range (to get your flag or whatever) you just stand and fire. Hell,
UT2k3 even had turrets! How's that for incouraging camping?

In threewave, you can close the distance from railgun range to lg range
in the time it takes the railgun to reload. And the weapons are
perfectly balanced. A shotgun up close does exactly the same damage as
a railgun or a rocket. The only advantage to one or the other is how
you use it. Quake is just the perfect game in every way, why doesn't
someone make another one like it?

Instead, every FPS game I've ever seen is just like every other FPS
game. The weapons and graphics look different, but they're all really
the same. The speed and gameplay are always the same. It always feels
the same. "ooh, this one has vehicles!" "oooh, this one has nice
lighting." It's still the same game. Why do people keep buying them?

So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone here has found another FPS that
they like as much as quake, or knows of an upcomming one that shows
promise.

try UT04 ..imo very fast paced game, sure theres turrets and lots of places
to camp, but there are weapons and tactics u can employ to make them pay for
their campage =) UT04 is the game i played online most of any other game
besides q3, good fun. Call Of Duty online comes in third.

Slik