Question Any other good 3200mhz RAM for R7 1700x?

Amaz1ng

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
So i had G.Skill Flare 2x8GB (3200mhz) then one of the sticks died after over a year so i decided to get a new pair and it also died again today, after a year. So maybe some of you know a good alternative, a different brand maybe 'cause im getting tired of this G.Skill dying so quickly.

Im not a techy guy so maybe you could suggest a specific ram that is good for Ryzen 1700X & AB350-Gaming-3. (I might use auto xmp as well). Preferably 2400mhz stock, if there is any?

EDIT: I just visited our local store and here are the stocks available:
  • Corsair VENGEANCE LPX - (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16)
  • CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16)
  • Gigabyte Aorus (GP-AR32C16S8K2HU416R)
  • Kingston HyperX Fury (HX432C16FB3AK2/16)
  • G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (F4-3200C16D-16GTZN)
Do you think any of them would work with my cpu & mobo? Im having doubts cause all of the sticks i listed above weren't listed on the qvl list of my mobo. Im wondering if i'd still be able to achieve 3200mhz with just auto settings on xmp?

Im thinking between Gigabyte Aorus or Corsair VENGEANCE LPX but which one among the 5 do you think is the best?
Or if you have any recommendation that isn't on the list, perhaps you can include the Model # so i can check the availability. Thanks!

Amaz1ng

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Perhaps it would help to know the rest of your PC's specs, before you go and add a new kit... only for another stick to mysteriously die.

Hello! Thank you for replying. Here's my current pc's specs:
  • MB: Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3
  • CPU: R7 1700X
  • GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition
  • PS: Seasonic Prime (Gold) 650w
  • Ram: G.Skill Flare X - 2x8GB (16GB) 3200mhz
I don't overclock cpu, gpu and only overclocked my ram to 3200mhz for like once (Only on the second kit, never oc on the first kit that died) and only used auto on xmp settings. Also i had to disable it after couple of days because overwatch keeps crashing so im just running it at stock speed (2400).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Being this unlucky is either unfair luck or something else is going on.

Have you updated bios? And cleared cmos & load bios defaults afterwards?

Any ram you get have standard jedec profiles so every ram despite xmp speeds should run at 2133, 2400 or 2666.

It is strange for memory to fail you frequently. What happens when it does?

Last edited:

Amaz1ng

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Being this unlucky is either unfair luck or something else is going on.

Have you updated bios? And cleared cmos & load bios defaults afterwards?

Any ram you get have standard jedec profiles so every ram despite xmp speeds should run at 2133, 2400 or 2666.

It is strange for memory to fail you frequently. What happens when it does?
Maybe? i also checked the store and they no longer sell the same model so perhaps those i god weren't in good conditions? They were brand new tho, guess im really unlucky as hell.

I have, only one time (to F5) and i did loaded bios defaults. It was \last year when i did it never did it again.

The reason i found it one of the stick died again is when my fps kept dropping then my pc kept freezing frequently and getting bsod so after encounter those for like couple of days i remember the same thing happened to the first ram kit that died so i decided to open up my task manager to check my memory and i saw that only one 8gb stick is being detected. So i pulled out both of the sticks and i put back one by one to see which one is dead and my pc won't boot with the other stick while i can boot normally with the other one.

Quite funny, I had this old rig that i got like 6 years ago and the ram kit is still running. Same G.Skill brand, just different model (Ripjaws), one of it just died last month so i think that was just fine after more than half a decade but this new one and more expensive that dies so quickly just makes me sad. Im really glad the ram prices dropped down a lot lately.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I understand. Those CL 14 Gskills with Samsung bdie are very decent ram, it's a shame. Ram can go at anytime i know that but this is uncanny.

Im like you too regarding DDR 3 Ripjaws, been in my system a good while.

See how you go with the next set of ram, any ram should do. Do update your bios first to the latest if available. First gen Ryzen had many memory problems and bios updates over the years have made a heap of improvements.

If ram go on you again i would suspect the motherboard 🧐

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Amaz1ng

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
See how you go with the next set of ram, any ram should do.
So do you think i wouldn't have problem running any of those on the list at 3200mhz with just the auto settings on xmp?

Do update your bios first to the latest if available. First gen Ryzen had many memory problems and bios updates over the years have made a heap of improvements.
My bios is currently on version F5 and the latest version is already F42d. I wanted to update it to the latest but im kinda confused, should i download the F42D right away & update it or should i download each version and update it one by one from F6 till i reach the latest (F42d)?

I hope you don't mind, but could you please make a step by step on which version should i download first till the latest? I just really don't want to mess anything up. Here's my motherboard's BIOS links: https://www.gigabyte.com/ph/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Also i'll be updating my bios through the app center but i'll download the files to my drive first from the website link above. It's what i did before, that's just fine right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Without too much fuss updating this and that, F25 is as high you can go. Read the instructions. Beyond this might not make any difference to memory compatibility because these updates are more geared toward Zen 2 cpus. Agesa code updates up to F25 is the most significant. Agesa code updates to the bios and improving memory support.

If want to update to F42D, the bios needs to be updated to F31 first then to progress, install EC FW Update Tool found in the utility section. It's confusing i know but if you have no intention of going Zen 2, then F25 is all that is needed here.

Reactions: Amaz1ng

Amaz1ng

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Without too much fuss updating this and that, F25 is as high you can go. Read the instructions. Beyond this might not make any difference to memory compatibility because these updates are more geared toward Zen 2 cpus. Agesa code updates up to F25 is the most significant. Agesa code updates to the bios and improving memory support.

If want to update to F42D, the bios needs to be updated to F31 first then to progress, install EC FW Update Tool found in the utility section. It's confusing i know but if you have no intention of going Zen 2, then F25 is all that is needed here.

Okay. Thank you very much! I really appreciate all the help!

I have the flare x 3200 cl14 and have had no issues with it.
That said it's on a Asus rog strix x470 f gaming with a 2600x.
I had it running @3400 fast 1.41v ryzen dram calculator till i updated the bios to 5204 From 4602 which was still more of a 2000 series bios.
After the bios update i could only get it to run 3200 fast anything over that gave me problems.
I agree with Boju if after a bios update it does it again you should get another mobo.

I hope this didn't just jinks me. LOL

Reactions: Phaaze88