Discussion Any problem using two psu's in one PC to power an RTX2080S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobkirk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I want to test an RTX 2070 Super in a 5 year old PC w/ a Corsair 430M.
  1. The card requires an 8-pin and a 6 pin connector.
  2. My real PSU has one 6+2 connector labeled PCIE. It also has a 6-pin plug labeled CPU.
  3. My old PSU (Bestec ATX-300-12EB3 from a GW507 that has a 6-pin moldex labeled P11
    1. the "P" is clear, but the "11" might be something else .
    2. The actual wires are white on one row & black on the row next to the clip.
  4. I would keep the second PSU outside the box, but grounded to it.
  5. This setup would only exist for a couple of days.
If it's OK to try, I WILL CHECK VOLTAGES TO MAKE SURE THEY MATCH THE CORSAIR 6 PINS.

I don't want to buy a good PSU. I am slightly poor, and PSU's are hard to find at this time.
  • After testing the RTX 2070 Super, I plan to sell it on eBay. But I want to know it's working - it was one month old when I bought it from a guy who had gone rabid after the AMD 3000 series roll-out.
  • My current PSU should work fi9ne, even when I upgrade to n GTX1660S. If it doesn't, then I will upgrade the PSU.
Thank you for reading this.

Unless you are completely okay with ruining your GPU and potentially other system components, don't do it.

It's a risk. It might work. It might end in disaster.

Neither are good quality PSUs and it's possible you could damage hardware. Even if you don't have any failure, you might have issues with restarts etc making it hard to test the gpu properly.

USAFRet

Titan
The replies in your previous thread weren't good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.