Question Any problems if I hack a mATX case to fit an ATX MB?

hobkirk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
My Cooler Master case is designed for mini and micro ATX boards. I am having a tough time finding a Z270 mATX MB, but I found an ATX MB.
  1. The ATX would be blocked by the PSU., but there is enough space I could shift the PSU to the front of the case.
    1. I could remove a small bracket that protrudes 1" above the PSU and 1" beyond the mATX MB
    2. I can accept not being able to reach the on/off switch or the receptable for the power cord
    3. and the cooling would be better
  2. The case has openings for 4 PCI cards, but I don't need more than 4.
  3. I looked at another CM case that was designed for micro ATX and ATX - so I assume the slots must line up the same.
Any warnings? Or brickbats ("you damn idiot")?

Thanks

Not a good idea.
Structural integrity of the case may get compromised, may become flimsy/woobly. Plus you'll have to figure out, how to close that empty spot, where PSU used to be located.

If you can't find matx Z270, look also for H270, B250.
If still nothing, then just get a new case.

Reactions: RealBeast
("you damn idiot" )
You answered your own question.

Why do you need a new motherboard at all?
Do you have a K suffix processor?
Is that why you need a Z270 motherboard?
Otherwise look for a different chipset M-ATX motherboard.

You have a very nice case and I do no think you should try to hack it up.

Why buy new? You can find one used on ebay for about $50

hobkirk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
The deed is done and it's great.
  • I removed the bracket (6 rivets) and mounted the PSU at the other end on the bottom w/ 4 long screws from underneath
  • I used a right angle power cord, which the PSU is now sitting atop
  • Access to the PSU plugs is better and there is plenty of space for the extra 2 inches.
Why a MB? Why a Z chip set? Why keep the case?
  • I have 3 MB's -
    • ASRock Z170M Pro that died 2 years ago
    • MSI B250M from eBay w/ defective ports (the LAN & 2 USB ports glow red always and are not recognized)
    • and a eBay Gigabyte B250M that doesn't recognize any of its PCI slots.
  • The Z motherboard is required to overclock the memory - right? But I admit I did not realize my CPU couldn't be overclocked - 5 years ago, I had a Z NB but I never got around to tweaking it.
  • I like my case. It's really well engineered (especially air flow), the size is right for my desk. and it's virtually silent,
I am 74 and I used to be technical - I've programmed, designed systems, and (the most fun) taught programming. I started building PC's when the 386 chip first appeared. But I don't have much money, so I am being cheap. But I am enjoying myself.

Reactions: Karadjgne