Any problems running 2 monitors with different resolutions?

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
Hey guys! I'm currently using a 1080p 60hz monitor and plan to buy a 1440p 144hz monitor, and I plan to use both ideally with the 1440p monitor for my gaming and then the 1080p monitor running social media, and videos, etc. Is this plausible, and if so, do I run into any problems along the way? Thanks for the help!

Solution
Two disparate monitors will function just fine.
You will want to set as expanded desktop.
I have been doing this for a long time.
If they are physically different sizes and resolutions the size of a window will change as you drag from one to another.
I found it easiest if you line up the top edge physically and in the windows display settings.
I use a wall mount so it is easy to rearrange things.
I have a 40" 4k main monitor and a 30" 1600P side monitor.
On a whim, I turned the 30" to portrait mode which has worked out well.
Two disparate monitors will function just fine.
You will want to set as expanded desktop.
I have been doing this for a long time.
If they are physically different sizes and resolutions the size of a window will change as you drag from one to another.
I found it easiest if you line up the top edge physically and in the windows display settings.
I use a wall mount so it is easy to rearrange things.
I have a 40" 4k main monitor and a 30" 1600P side monitor.
On a whim, I turned the 30" to portrait mode which has worked out well.

Solution

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015

that's another thing i was wondering about. I have a gtx 1080 and the problem is, the monitor im getting has freesync. im only getting it because it's much cheaper than other monitors with gsync, and for the most part im not even getting the monitor for that feature. i just really want an affordable 1440p monitor right now. would running an nvidia card on a monitor with freesync be okay?

Your GTX1080 does not have freesync support.
freesync is one method of managing the discrepancy between the cpu/gpu ability to generate frame rates and the ability of the monitor to display them.
A mismatch may show up as screen tearing or input lag.
With a nvidia gtx1xxx card there are several driver related options if you do not have a g.sync monitor.
Likely, fast sync is what you will want.
Here is an article about that.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

TRENDING THREADS