Any problems running CAS2 RAM with CAS2.5 RAM?

G

I have two RAM sticks running on a 133 MHz bus with a CAS latency of 2, and another RAM stick running at the same bus speed, but has a CAS latency of 2.5. My question is: Is this a stable configuration, or will this cause unforeseen problems with data going in and out of memory with different latency specifications? All three memory sticks are registered RAM, and the only difference between them is the CAS latency.

Joseph Stedler, MCSE
Systems Engineer/Network Administrator

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
If you try to force the 2.5 to 2 then you might run into trouble, otherwise the Cas2 ram will default to 2.5. You wont see a single problem with that.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

That makes sense, thanks for the reply!

Joseph Stedler, MCSE
Systems Engineer/Network Administrator

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*grins*
yup
same as me running some PC133 @ 66 (i had a crappy old lx board)

bit like driving around in a ferrari only using first and second gear :)

This behavior must not continue! Feel the BURNING STARE of my HAMSTER... and change your ways!

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
What brand memory is it? I would suggest trying to push the CAS2.5 stick to CAS2 and see if it losses stability. Most meory thats rated at CAS2.5 will run just as good at CAS2, and if it does creat problems then you know you just ahve to run it at 2.5.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
o/cing the 2.5 down to 2 should not be a problem
even though i had no idea at all that 2.5 existed other than with ddr... with sdr it should be either 2 or 3... nothing else i've heard of... ddr is 2.5 because its actual latency is cas5 but its halved because its ddr to give 2.5 (i think) and cas 2 has been released so that could be why u have cas 2 and 2.5 but otherwise... im confused...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong