[SOLVED] Any program is showing different CPU temperature than BIOS does.

Jul 13, 2021
Hello,
So I got this problem which I can´t find any solution.
Any program is showing wrong CPU temperature where its jumping from 60c to 80c in both gaming and idling and never goes lower than 60... which is obviously wrong.
But when I check in bios there are normal temperatures about 30c even after a 30min stress test and jumping into BIOS to check it fast, its still arround 45-50c. I dont know what could be wrong with it.

Thanks for any help.

Here are some screenshots.

https://prnt.sc/1atewa1

https://prnt.sc/1atfok6

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, I am controlling them manually so they dont jump.
the point of the spin-up\down settings is so you can control how quickly the motor responds to a temperature change.
you can still have a manual fan curve in place but it will take your edited input time for it to actually respond.

if the temperature is jumping from 35-55° quickly than you may hear the fan constantly spinning up & down.
with an increased spin-up\down time, the fan would ramp up or down and sit there for your specified time reducing the actual spikes in fan RPMs.
which also reduces the variation in noises produced.
All 3 programs show exactly same CPU temperature. BIOS shows different? Sure, but at different point in time. Yes, by the time it takes to enter BIOS the CPU cores can easily cool even 20C. Because of that the only temp you can compare between BIOS and programs is idle temps.

there's no jumping from one task to another to check temperatures.
you have to be watching them live because within milliseconds they will drastically drop when exiting the stressful environment.

you should also realize that when in the BIOS there is nothing stressing your CPU or any other components so your entire system is going to be cooler than when in a OS environment.

but, it's common for different devices and different software to show different readings within the OS.
many are reading from different sources but may still label it CPU.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021
All 3 programs show exactly same CPU temperature. BIOS shows different? Sure, but at different point in time. Yes, by the time it takes to enter BIOS the CPU cores can easily cool even 20C. Because of that the only temp you can compare between BIOS and programs is idle temps.
I dont think thats what is wrong.
1.Cool from what? They are idling the whole time.
2.Im in BIOS in like 20 seconds I dont think thats enough to get from 62c to 39c and back to 62c after reboot and loading up the programs.

Im in BIOS in like 20 seconds I dont think thats enough to get from 62c to 39c and back to 62c after reboot and loading up the programs.
even when in the OS and running heavy stress tests on the CPU it can reach anywhere from 70-100°C.

upon ending this test you will see the CPU drop from that max temperature down to 30-50°C in only a couple of seconds.

when in a low usage percentage environment like the BIOS temperature will drop even faster.

1.Cool from what? They are idling the whole time.
Oh, I thought that were under load temps. If those were idle temps that would be not good.
2.Im in BIOS in like 20 seconds I dont think thats enough to get from 62c to 39c and back to 62c after reboot and loading up the programs.
Yes, it can easily do that in 20 seconds.

One more thing to note, is the question of what temp motherboard shows. As you can see one of your programs shows two temps: one for CPU socket (much lower) and different for cores. Might be motherboard shows socket temp.

Jul 13, 2021
Didn´t notice if it was like this when I bought this CPU, now as I want to get a new case and compare the temps I got into this problem, and also when I set fans to set RPM according to the CPU temperature they start "jumping" from low to high RPM.
I dont know, may reinstalling windows help? Already updated all drivers that I could.

when I set fans to set RPM according to the CPU temperature they start "jumping" from low to high RPM.
I dont know, may reinstalling windows help?
your motherboard control software should have some fan control options.
you should be able to edit the fan "spin-up" & "spin-down" settings to stop the fan from jumping back & forth from low to high RPMs as much.
this way it will take a bit more time for the fans to respond and won't be ramping up & down as fast.

Jul 13, 2021
your motherboard control software should have some fan control options.
you should be able to edit the fan "spin-up" & "spin-down" settings to stop the fan from jumping back & forth from low to high RPMs as much.
this way it will take a bit more time for the fans to respond and won't be ramping up & down as fast.
Also now I set all fans to 100% for a few mins and the temp actually dropped to 59C, which is still high but might be the lowest I have seen on my programs.
Could be the CPU cooler mounted wrong or something? Since it was my first time building a PC from scratch, just in case sensors actually show the real numbers.

Last edited:
the point of the spin-up\down settings is so you can control how quickly the motor responds to a temperature change.
you can still have a manual fan curve in place but it will take your edited input time for it to actually respond.

if the temperature is jumping from 35-55° quickly than you may hear the fan constantly spinning up & down.
with an increased spin-up\down time, the fan would ramp up or down and sit there for your specified time reducing the actual spikes in fan RPMs.
which also reduces the variation in noises produced.

Solution
Jul 13, 2021
There is such possibility. But before you jump to any conclusions, important question is: what CPU and cooler you have?
CPU is Ryzen 5 3600x and replaced the stock with Be Quiet Pure Rock with 1 fan, will be adding second when my new arrives. Also stock thermal paste on the cooler what comes with Be Quiet coolers.

Jul 13, 2021
Voltage looks way too high. That and PBO are going to make it spike really fast, and thus hot, when it doesn't need to really. Also, by manually adjusting fans, do you mean you have them set at 1 speed? That's not good either. Let it be dynamic.
The speed is based on a sensor called System, guess thats what is inside of the case somewhere on the mobo.
And what about the voltage? I have never adjusted any voltages or overclocking it, its completely stock.

CPU is Ryzen 5 3600x and replaced the stock with Be Quiet Pure Rock with 1 fan, will be adding second when my new arrives. Also stock thermal paste on the cooler what comes with Be Quiet coolers.
Well, with that cooler I'd expect idle temps no higher then 40C, maybe 50C. If your reading of 60C is correct it might be a sign of minor problem, like wrong application of thermal paste. Don't jump into action yet! Wait what others may say about that.

Jul 13, 2021
Well, with that cooler I'd expect idle temps no higher then 40C, maybe 50C. If your reading of 60C is correct it might be a sign of minor problem, like wrong application of thermal paste. Don't jump into action yet! Wait what others may say about that.
I ordered a new case and will most likely re-apply the thermal paste anyways as I will dismount everything.
And does the quality of the thermal paste matter that much? I got one new already at home but its not high-end.