Any r9290x fixes?

james50cal

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
As you probabbly know theres alot of issues regarding AMD'S 290x restarting, just wondering if there are any permanent fixes to this as its getting pretty annoying having my computer randomly restart all the time.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's a new one on me. My 290X has been flawless. Usually when the PC restarts or shuts down while gaming, it is a sign of a too weak or failing PSU. Although, there can be other issues. Have you tested your system memory w/memtest lately? 1 stick at a time in the 1st DIMM slot for at least 1 full pass.

james50cal

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
no I havent tried that but ive read about people doing it and still not knowing the cause. I contacted power color and they said they will send me a bios update so i can update the bios on the gpu but havent heard back from them yet, they like to take their time replying.
I also contacted AMD after eventually finding contact details on their site and they havent even bothered to reply.
is there a way i can check for bios updates for my gpu?

james50cal

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
just found this on another forum ....

"same r9 290 issues here

AMD have told me on the phone it is an issue with the Elpida ram chips in some of the r9 series cards

there is currently no fix for this issue even though there has been countless driver updates"

james50cal

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
just recieved the bios from powercolor, im going to have a go with that and see how it runs after. If it fixes the problem i will be very happy indeed as this is getting very very frustrating.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Let me know how it works for you. My ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II OC has Elpida W2032BBBG-6A-F memory chips, but I haven't noticed any issues. And I've put it through some pretty demanding benchmark testing both in game and synthetic. Even Furmark's stress test didn't cause any problems. I wonder which Elpida chips yours has?