[SOLVED] Any real disadvantage of a B760 or H770 versus Z790 ?

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
Hello,

I'm wondering which mobo chipset to go for for i7 13700k. The price difference is actually big. (>150 EUR)

I'm getting a k cpu, because the price difference between k and non-k is negligible (~25 EUR where I live).

I don't see a point in overclocking to gain 50-200 MHz at the cost of noise, power draw and longevity.
I do see a point in undervolting to gain silence, less power draw, longevity at the cost of no tangible performance loss. But from what I read I can do that even on a B series board.

Power limit setting for P1 and P2 should work on B and H series boards too.

The amount of USB ports, SATA ports are completely adequate on a B series board. RAID - I don't care about it.

Does the DMI 4.0 ×4 VS DMI 4.0 ×8 do anything tangible?

Is there a real advantage of a Z790 over a H770 if I don't plan to overclock?

Thank you!

Solution
When you are not overclocking the difference is going to be what features...ie how many sata ports or m.2 slots does the board have. Even the low end boards are designed to run the entire line of intel chips including stuff like the 13900ks running at stock speed which takes a lot more power than your 13700k.
There is also some difference in how fast memory the boards will take since technically almost all memory is now running at overclock speeds. If you check the QVL list though you should have no issues.

Then again it depends on what you are doing with the machine. If you are playing games on the machine most games only use a small number of cores fully and leave the other idle. This means the cpu is not even close to...

Lutfij

Titan
If you're not going to be overclocking, then might as well look at the non-K variant of the i7 you've parsed above. If you're looking at a K suffix processor it only makes sense to get a Z series chipset board but with a beefy power delivery area. If you look at a B or H series chipset with a beefy power delivery, you'll notice how you actually creep into Z series territory which is pointless when you consider how the B and H series chipset were designed as a budget'ish/bottom of the barrel style chipset for builds.

where I live
For ease of locating parts/parts suggestions, where would that be? What sort of boards have you narrowed down to?

vacip

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
If you're not going to be overclocking, then might as well look at the non-K variant of the i7 you've parsed above. If you're looking at a K suffix processor it only makes sense to get a Z series chipset board but with a beefy power delivery area. If you look at a B or H series chipset with a beefy power delivery, you'll notice how you actually creep into Z series territory which is pointless when you consider how the B and H series chipset were designed as a budget'ish/bottom of the barrel style chipset for builds.

where I live
For ease of locating parts/parts suggestions, where would that be? What sort of boards have you narrowed down to?

Thank you for the reply!
The K and non-K variants have a difference in base clock and turbo clock. Enough to justify the minuscule price difference and go for a K chip.
And from what I saw based on a quick price check, top end B series boards are still a lot cheaper than low-end Z boards. And since I shoot for longevity, I'm not going to buy a low-end board.
Also, H was not designed for "budget'ish/bottom of the barrel" if I read Intel's articles correctly.

When you are not overclocking the difference is going to be what features...ie how many sata ports or m.2 slots does the board have. Even the low end boards are designed to run the entire line of intel chips including stuff like the 13900ks running at stock speed which takes a lot more power than your 13700k.
There is also some difference in how fast memory the boards will take since technically almost all memory is now running at overclock speeds. If you check the QVL list though you should have no issues.

Then again it depends on what you are doing with the machine. If you are playing games on the machine most games only use a small number of cores fully and leave the other idle. This means the cpu is not even close to power or temp limits so doing stuff like setting the voltage lower does not buy you much.

Just get a larger cooler and adjust the fans so they are quiet.

Solution