[SOLVED] Any reason to buy a z490 MotherBoard if I am not planning to OC?

Feb 4, 2021
I just want to buy a very potent CPU (i9-10850k/i9-10900k) and entry level cooler CPU Arctic Freezer 34.

1. Would I have reason to buy a Z490 MB, if I don't intend to OC my CPU (or maybe OC just a little bit).

2. Why a K CPU if I don't intend to (seriously) OC the CPU ? Because I saw that the K i9 have a higher baseline frequency and I would like the integrated GPU (I think the rest non-K cpu's don't have the integrated GPU; I intend to buy a GPU later)

Is my approach suitable regarding my situation?

Solution
You are missing some info.

The K series are full power cpus. TDP is 95w, but for 1 minute when you start an app they bump upto 200ish watts at maximum turbo then settle back to the 95w continuous load with as much turbo as is possible. According to Intel guidelines, which are often overwritten by motherboard vendors, so you can possibly get full turbo P2 power/heat indefinitely.

The non-K are 65w cpus. For 26 seconds they'll bump up wattage then drop back. 65w isn't a lot of power, so turbo speeds will be minimal, you'll be barely above base speeds.

That's a significant difference just in the cpu.

Z boards are unlocked for OC. Whether you actually use that with a K cpu is your choice as to if or when. H and B boards are locked...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I just want to buy a very potent CPU (i9-10850k/i9-10900k) and entry level cooler CPU Arctic Freezer 34.

1. Would I have reason to buy a Z490 MB, if I don't intend to OC my CPU (or maybe OC just a little bit).

2. Why a K CPU if I don't intend to (seriously) OC the CPU ? Because I saw that the K i9 have a higher baseline frequency and I would like the integrated GPU (I think the rest non-K cpu's don't have the integrated GPU; I intend to buy a GPU later)

Is my approach suitable regarding my situation?
Your going to need a good power phase/ Vram on the motherboard for that processor and I don't think the CPU cooler is good enough.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are missing some info.

The K series are full power cpus. TDP is 95w, but for 1 minute when you start an app they bump upto 200ish watts at maximum turbo then settle back to the 95w continuous load with as much turbo as is possible. According to Intel guidelines, which are often overwritten by motherboard vendors, so you can possibly get full turbo P2 power/heat indefinitely.

The non-K are 65w cpus. For 26 seconds they'll bump up wattage then drop back. 65w isn't a lot of power, so turbo speeds will be minimal, you'll be barely above base speeds.

That's a significant difference just in the cpu.

Z boards are unlocked for OC. Whether you actually use that with a K cpu is your choice as to if or when. H and B boards are locked bios, you cannot OC, you have no options for that, and that can include XMP for faster than 2666MHz or 2933MHz ram.

Because of the power draws capable by those expensive K cpus, it's the suggested strongly that you get a matching cpu cooler. There's little point to getting a big cpu and a little cooler, just because it's cheap. That's like having a big supercharged V8 engine and trying to stuff it in a Honda Accord. Not going to work out well when you stomp on the gas pedal and twist that frame up like a pretzel.

Solution
Regarding the cooler, I just don't want a monster air cooler like Noctua.
And the arctic one has good reviews:

I am not planning to do any serious OC.
Unfortunately they were using a 9700K, which uses considerably less power than the i9-10900K. As in almost 100W less. https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785/the-intel-comet-lake-review-skylake-we-go-again/5 (while the 9700K isn't listed, the 9900K is close enough)

TRENDING THREADS