Any reason to upgrade Ubuntu 12.04?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

It's near release-time. Any compelling reason for me to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04LTS ?

Smoothly running ... current systems summary:

Running current U_12.04LTS usrland GNOME-classic desktop on 2 systems: MSI-790fx-gd70/AMD_965/EVGA650 and MSI-Z77A-gd55/EVGA660. Shared (2-port) HP1300 laser printer & unshared scanner.

No LAN with archaic 2.2G Compac Celeron/WinXP sys running legacy sci. HW/SW; Opera works; ZoneAlarm protection surprisingly able.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
SB:

My cardiologist doesn't want me to eat toast. I would need to re-install GNOME, unless the UBUNTU-GNOME version is LTS also. But, then I lose GNOME-classic which is the only UBUNTU GUI I find tolerable.

Faster you say ...I don't see that in the reported PHORONIX testing! Generally I have read of NO GREAT INNOVATIONS in the recent Linux codescape ... and graspy RedHAT **systend** & GNOME3 branding-raiders are tobe feared.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I have COPY/PASTED your 3-line note inside my Linux workbook.

Randomizer -- in a following post --- has put it pretty coldly. That UBUNTU has got a 3guys "wax-job", not a RichardPetty crankshaft rebuild.

Linux SOBAD needs a sparkling **lusr-facing** rebuild (shell + GUI) every bit as clever and humane as a good Winslow Homer ... not a zonkered Rothko.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Someday i'm going to find out what language it is that you speak.

The commands I gave are for use late next week when the new release is out.

I have found the "wax job" to have made things a lot better/clearer. I too use the gnome desktop and will certainly upgrade next week or soon thereafter. I really hope they've improved connection and printer management.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
SB:

Vis' the commands ... even if U_14.04 had a marvelous new feature (ex. self-comfiguring automagic SAMBA) I would still wait till the 2nd or third release version before installing.

My past experience is that new LTS UBUNTU versions are coarse/raw/unrefined. Some basic stuff will not work! Sound & printing ALWAYS fail, and now GNOME is a trainwreck. I don't trust them to "just work". After 6-mo of power-usr/hobbist/geek grinding & polishing the LTS is now fit-to-use by the casual Linux lusr.

randomizer

Champion
Despite what most people say, LTS is not synonymous with stable. LTS means exactly what it stands for, and by extension it will probably be stable eventually. The only advantage that an LTS has over a non-LTS at release is that it won't be filled to the brim with untested new features.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Do you subscribe to the Linux sweet spot theory?

The premise is that there is only one or two generations of "optimal" Linux OS for a particular system.

This is usually at the mid-cycle of mainstream hardware life cycle.

It's weird - newer distros have compatibility problems, older distros don't support the hardware.

Find the sweet spot and stick to it. (Might take time to appear for your new PC).

So many people use XP ~ 20%+ of the world population...

No updates fo dat.

They're still good with that. Just do your banking in an up-to date VM. Simple.

Frustrating yourself never solved anything.

You can always try typing killall in terminal if you want your revenge though.

aBKvnDO_700b.jpg

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yes I do ... sadly for my AMD965/gd70 system that **sweet spot** was Ubuntu_10.04/GNOME-2. I make-do with an unpolished U_12.04, but of-course there are printer/sound problems on both AMD legacy and the new Xeon system.

"Ideal" systems may hold for lusrs also. Ah ... for the dayz of AMD2600, OPERA_3.46, ZoneAlarm, Proxomitron, GeoCities, SUCK... a fish a barrel and a smoking gun... and WinME rock-solid 4-hours at a time!

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Rebooting ever-4-hours wsn't so bad. In years around Y2K I lived in Seattle/Spokane working on-contract internet "security" ... and WWW was the wild-west. Lots of bad people/places/things and newly online company desktops were 90% infested with snarkware. My job was to jump-in & bounce-off sites spreading various snarks and gather the details .

Zone-Alarm & PROXO kept a surprising resilient WinME free from infection and identification .... except one case only where PROXOs header-fog failed and a blackhat emailed me to threaten ***** if I nailed another one of his sites. Still keep the 357-cal Dan Wesson insurance policy I purchased.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
My dear Ms AMDgurl"

I gotcha beat! AS a young boy I had nightmares because of adverts for MURDER IN THE ROUMorgue ! As you will surely recall from your lit class the "murderer" was an ape who climbed in thru windows and stuffed victims up chimneys!

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
What are my OS needs? If I knew I wouldn't be a retired physicist and my students would do more homework!

But really ... mebby lusrland needs are something political ... namely to throw a cross-check at the RedHat/GNOME cabal! I understand that U_14.04 will be the last Ubuntu planned with-out **systemd ** as the initialization honcho. Thus beefing-up on U_14.04 might be interpreted as giving an eye-poke to the Poettering-coven of code-witches and their swelling initialization script (power NOT quality is the issue) that like Imperial Rome couldn't stop expanding till it hit Rumanian cross-bows. Well mebby not ... just a thought.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
My dear Ms AMDgurl:

I have read ... and reread this post a dozen times. You are saying something very clever, and very devilish. Computer HW is now "stuck" in a rut of excellence, with power far exceeding usrland needs. But system software is floundering ... any fools guess might be brilliant. So I expect great consequence given the TSUNAMI business-internet changes that are likely to occur before the end of U_14.04. That's where I want to leave it .. wondering if **because of** its boring/misdirected soul the new Ubuntu_LTS drops into that perfect sweet-spot.