Question any recent streaming device offer Netflix etc. audio output in Dolby but *not* DD+?

Jan 10, 2022
Hi all,

I watch Netflix/Amazon video on my Playstation 4, which outputs to an audio extractor that sends the video to my projector via hdmi and the audio by optical cable to my old Onkyo 5.1 receiver (with no hdmi inputs.)

This works great, but since PS4 doesn't offer some services like Kanopy and Criterion Channel I would rather upgrade my streaming device. But when I tried a Roku I only got stereo audio. I gather this is because it outputs DD+ which can't be sent over the optical cable.

So, my question is if any of the major streaming boxes/sticks (Fire, Apple, Chrome...) offer more options/control for audio output formats that could get me 5.1 audio via optical?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 10, 2022
p.s. I say "recent" in the sense of wanting something with updated streaming provider apps. But it may be that for example something like a previous model apple TV could work. Any ideas (or suggestions for where else to ask) would be much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS