Any recommend stable Router/AP for my setup?

chanwei21

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Hello,

We are in a building, about 5 floors.
installed with 15 units of AP, 3 on each floor.
and connected with 20~50 devices (PC/smartphones/tablet/tv-box)
and connected with 16~32 IP-cameras.

any recommend stable router can handle this amount of users/devices?
any recommend stable AP?

I'm currently tested as main router are D-Link brand DIR-825/DIR-842/DIR-868L
they all the same stacking up every couple of days and need a reboot (lucky when can log-in from web) sometimes can't even load the log-in page of the router and need a power off reboot to make it everything work again.

sorry I'm only familiar using D-LINKS thats why most of my products uses D-LINK.
How about the DIR-885L, DIR-890L & DIR-895L? will this expensive router be really stable?

Or recommend a good router with auto reboot schedule? this will be more easy to make the router stable I think.

kanewolf

Titan
You are looking at the wrong kind of router. You should look at the business products. Something like the DSR-500 -- https://www.dlink.com.my/product/2-wan-4-lan-unified-service-router-2/

Most home routers have a DHCP limit of a class C address space. With the number of devices you have, you may be running out of DHCP space.

I've seen a lot of good feedback on enGenius and ubiquiti. Their 4 and 5 star ratings are 80-90% on Amazon. Like all network related things there are a few people that are extremely opinionated and hate both or one or the other. I'm actually looking at both brands to drive a home network. Their APs are a good value, although some models don't have 802.11AC which I find to be a huge weakness. Their backend, the routers and switches I'm not sure are the best value or even very good. I haven't looked into those very much.

I don't do this for a living so I'd be curious about feedback from others that have some more background.

chanwei21

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
I also tried Netgear ProSafe FVS336Gv3 but this one gave me stable runtime because I manage to let it reboot daily.
but the negative side is I only got my ISP speed below 30% wich is the 100Mbps plan only running at 30Mbps below.
and trouble in port forwarding... this device are in category of VPN/UTM firewall line up, Will the D-link DSR or Cisco get like this?