[SOLVED] Any recommendations for Asus routers?

Solution
That all depends what you intend to do with the box. Most the software is identical but the cpu and memory can be different so performance can vary. It also depends on if you would ever want to run the merlin firmware since it is not supported on all models.

Pretty much the key is going to be your end devices. If your end device does not support say 4x4 mu-mimo it does not really pay to buy a router that does. Most devices only have 2 antenna so can only do 2x2. There are limited ones that can do 3x3 and almost none that can do 4x4.

So that means a router that say it can do 1200 will be just as fast as a router claiming more speed since it will fall back to the speed your end devices support. Then again there is not a...
That all depends what you intend to do with the box. Most the software is identical but the cpu and memory can be different so performance can vary. It also depends on if you would ever want to run the merlin firmware since it is not supported on all models.

Pretty much the key is going to be your end devices. If your end device does not support say 4x4 mu-mimo it does not really pay to buy a router that does. Most devices only have 2 antenna so can only do 2x2. There are limited ones that can do 3x3 and almost none that can do 4x4.

So that means a router that say it can do 1200 will be just as fast as a router claiming more speed since it will fall back to the speed your end devices support. Then again there is not a huge difference in price between 2x2 and 3x3 routers.

Only you can put a value on feature like parental controls or qos or NAS or some of the other feature these routers have.

Solution

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020

So that means a router that say it can do 1200 will be just as fast as a router claiming more speed since it will fall back to the speed your end devices support. Then again there is not a huge difference in price between 2x2 and 3x3 routers.

Only you can put a value on feature like parental controls or qos or NAS or some of the other feature these routers have.
What specs do I have to pay attention to when buying a new router?

Maybe best to just say go buy the asus recommended in the above post and come back if you have issues. You seem to want some magic answer without becoming a educated consumer. To get a optimum installation you either learn some basic stuff or you pay someone to come to your house and test. Or you just blindly buy things and hope they work.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Maybe best to just say go buy the asus recommended in the above post and come back if you have issues. You seem to want some magic answer without becoming a educated consumer. To get a optimum installation you either learn some basic stuff or you pay someone to come to your house and test. Or you just blindly buy things and hope they work.
I'm sure I'm NOT the only one. There's plenty of other people that asks the same "UN-educated" questions

kanewolf

Titan
I'm sure I'm NOT the only one. There's plenty of other people that asks the same "UN-educated" questions
No you aren't. But you also didn't take advantage of the search feature of this forum to attempt to answer your questions. If you had, you would know that all routers have the same transmit power (federal regulations). You might have also learned that the transmit power of your device (phone, tablet, etc) is much lower and is usually the limiting factor for your desired "broad coverage". THAT is why I recommended multiple WIFI radios to broaden your coverage area.
A single WIFI source trying to blast a signal just doesn't work because even if your phone picks up a good signal, it can't transmit back.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
No you aren't. But you also didn't take advantage of the search feature of this forum to attempt to answer your questions. If you had, you would know that all routers have the same transmit power (federal regulations). You might have also learned that the transmit power of your device (phone, tablet, etc) is much lower and is usually the limiting factor for your desired "broad coverage". THAT is why I recommended multiple WIFI radios to broaden your coverage area.
A single WIFI source trying to blast a signal just doesn't work because even if your phone picks up a good signal, it can't transmit back.
That is some detailed explanation. Thankyou