[SOLVED] Any SSE4 CPU that's compatible with the Optiplex 745?

bodenlaman06

Commendable
Feb 26, 2018
Hey everyone, I have an ancient Dell Optiplex GX620 that I kind of want to upgrade for simple use. I've been using it with these specs for the past year and a half or so on Windows 10.

RAM: 5GB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6450
MOBO: Optiplex GX620. Optiplex 745

This setup wasn't super fast by any standards, but it worked. I'm looking for an SSE4 CPU, because for awhile I ran MacOS El Capitan on it, and it ran great. I understand that this isn't a Hackintosh forum and I'm not asking for help with that, however any MacOS version from Sierra and above requires an SSE4 CPU. Therefore my question is, are there any SSE4 CPUs that are compatible with this motherboard? Thanks. I also plan on upgrading the Graphics card & RAM but I shouldn't need help with that.

Last edited:
Solution
That's a good point! I think the OP added the specs after I had read the first message (or I just missed it), I see now that he already has an E6300 on it. Strange, since the original GX620 didn't support it. Like you said, must be a mobo from a different PC.
Yeah, a lot of the Dells in that BTX era could easily swap motherboards and upgrade systems that would have been deadlocked to their native configuration. I actually have some optiplex 380 motherboards for exactly that purpose for my gx520 and 2x 210Ls. The 380 can take up to the q9650, so that's a serious upgrade from even the maxed out p4 960.
That's a good point! I think the OP added the specs after I had read the first message (or I just missed it), I see now that he already has an E6300 on it. Strange, since the original GX620 didn't support it. Like you said, must be a mobo from a different PC.
Yeah, a lot of the Dells in that BTX era could easily swap motherboards and upgrade systems that would have been deadlocked to their native configuration. I actually have some optiplex 380 motherboards for exactly that purpose for my gx520 and 2x 210Ls. The 380 can take up to the q9650, so that's a serious upgrade from even the maxed out p4 960.

Solution