Question Any suggestions for a good and secure file-sharing model for my parent's office ?

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Some context: At present, we use a Centralized OneDrive system for the office, so that instead of creating multiple copies, files can be worked upon simultaneously. However, my parents are desirous of limiting access to the employees, only sharing those files which are necessary, fearing (and rightfully so, though I can't think of any incident to date) that any employee could copy, or worse, steal the data (such as formats, templates, drafts, etc.) should they be left alone. My father is particularly fearful of leaving any External Hard Drives isolated, fearing theft.

I once suggested getting a NAS, however, that is yet to be approved. I'm also thinking of just creating a separate OneDrive account for the employees, sharing only one link at a time of the file which is actually to be worked upon instead of the whole lot. Or else, I'll probably try converting an older computer into a server.

Keeping all of this in mind, I wanted to ask all of you: What is a good file-sharing method that can be implemented in an office, with the ability to enforce security measures and limit access at will, so that I can satisfy my parents once and for all?

I'd be grateful to have your input. :D

These are the only things that are coming to my mind. You may add to these.

1. NAS
  2. Converting an old system into a File Server
  3. Creating a separate collective OneDrive account for the employees
  4. TeamViewer or AnyDesk (instead of worrying about sharing, just monitor them)
  5. ?????? (You may add more)

Working on the same exact file at the same exact time takes very special software. There are many software packages that are used for say software development that allow this but it is still a messy thing to even consider if you have multiple people actually changing the same data. These type of systems tend to be rather expensive.

All the other system you describe are your much more standard file sharing. You can try to do it yourself but this is exactly why you pay microsoft for a license for their server version of windows. It has all the feature you want and many more. It has very detailed control of each file as to if they can read write or update.
I suspect though you are trying to be cheap and re invent the wheel on your own. Maybe there is some linux based server package that is free that does this. Most time when a business and sensitive data is involved you are better off just paying for the software. It is not likely you are going to be able to do this yourself, you would have already known about these options.

Reactions: ArjunY

ArjunY

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you for all of your messages. :D

For now, we just decided that we'd separate the main Office Account (also applying password protection on the same), and open a separate Secondary User on the Computers with a Secondary OneDrive account. Whatever needs to be worked on by someone else, can be shared via link instead (with the option to set expiration dates on files as well) of just having access to the entire directory, and then access can also be revoked at will as necessary. Currently that works for us. :)

Working on the same exact file at the same exact time takes very special software. There are many software packages that are used for say software development that allow this but it is still a messy thing to even consider if you have multiple people actually changing the same data. These type of systems tend to be rather expensive.

All the other system you describe are your much more standard file sharing. You can try to do it yourself but this is exactly why you pay microsoft for a license for their server version of windows. It has all the feature you want and many more. It has very detailed control of each file as to if they can read write or update.
I suspect though you are trying to be cheap and re invent the wheel on your own. Maybe there is some linux based server package that is free that does this. Most time when a business and sensitive data is involved you are better off just paying for the software. It is not likely you are going to be able to do this yourself, you would have already known about these options.
SharePoint?
While that can be VERY good, it is not for the faint hearted.
Multiple questions abound:

How many users?
All in one location, or in several?
What does this company do?
What type of files? MS Office or other?

"files can be worked upon simultaneously " - That is a MAJOR issue. Not trivial.
git is what I would use.