Any suggestions for an IPS monitor with relatively low response times?

shadoolaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hi there, thread title basically says it all. I know it's likely too much to ask but I'd love to buy an IPS monitor for the color reproduction, but also keep the response time fairly low. I was eyeballing the Viewsonic VP2365wb until I saw that it had a 14ms response time.

Anyone know of any 1080p IPS monitors roughly around that price ($300'ish) that have somewhat low response times? I'm not expecting TN levels but 14ms is a bit too much (I play some fast-paced online games). I can compromise some on the response time if it means getting gorgeous picture quality, but not too much.

Thanks.

Solution
There is no "true" IPS panels. S-IPS is a variant. H-IPS is a variant. P-IPS is a variant.

e-IPS is another variant. However, nearly all models are 6-bit panels as opposed to 8-bit for traditional IPS panel which explains why many of them have somewhat similar (but less pronounced) color banding issues compared to TN panels when gradients are concerned.
Don't put too much importance on the quoted response times. If you look at the best and worst-case photos here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/viewsonic_vp2365wb.htm#gaming
The worst-case side only looks a little worse than the NEC 231WMi, but the other monitors in that comparison are hard to distinguish (at least for me) from that one on the worst-case side, so you could look at the NEC 231WMi or Dell U2311H, both of which can be found in your price range, and have lower average input lag than the Viewsonic.

my older viewsonic pro has a response time listed as 16ms however even with the fastest paced games you can throw at it, there were zero issues. technically as long as it is under 16ms maximum it should be able to handle a 60hz signal without trouble.

marketing has led many to believe that for fast paced games you need a 8ms or even a 2ms response time monitor. this is absolutely not the case. the only reason for wanting a faster response time monitor would be for a 3d ready setup, however, you will be sacrificing on image quality going that route.

another thing to note: my old VP is over 5-6 years old and still looks as good as it did day 1. my uncle has another one which is 2 years and still going strong. both look and perform beautifully. honestly i'd buy another in a heartbeat if i was in the market for one.

Actually, just looking at the average and maximum doesn't give you the whole story. What you really want to look at if you can find it is a table or 3d graph that shows response times for multiple different transitions, such as here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/nec-ms-ea231wmi_7.html

Unfortunately, that site doesn't review many monitors per year, and I haven't found another site with such thorough coverage of response times.

keep in mind that e-ips is not a true ips. there is a difference in how gradients are displayed.

the response time issue is always a hot debate. i've seen many monitors with varied response times and i'll still take my IPS over everything else. the only way to truley test this is to blind test the monitors (not to know which is which) and compare.

There is no "true" IPS panels. S-IPS is a variant. H-IPS is a variant. P-IPS is a variant.

e-IPS is another variant. However, nearly all models are 6-bit panels as opposed to 8-bit for traditional IPS panel which explains why many of them have somewhat similar (but less pronounced) color banding issues compared to TN panels when gradients are concerned.

Solution

Adroid

Distinguished
I got the U2311H, Love it. I play shooters and starcraft 2 mostly, and its plenty fast for me. I rarely notice ghosting at all.. If I do I really have to look for it.

I returned 3 top of the Line TN panels including two of the best samsung models out right now. The picture quality was just not good enough. I can assure you side by side the picture quality of IPS is noticeably better than the best TN panel you can buy.

Once I have owned a IPS panel, I will NEVER go back to TN. Slightly slower? Maybe. But I can still headshot people fine, I don't really notice a difference. Its a much better looking monitor though!!! I love it.