[SOLVED] Any suggestions for videos on wiring finished walls/ceilings?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Looking to install two drop boxes from the basement up to the attic and back down to the main floor rooms. First timer. Thanks for any helpful video ideas etc.

Solution
You will probably have to cut and patch the wall(s). Expecially if this is a two story house. You can drill the floor of the first floor from below and the ceiling of the second floor from above, but somehow you have to drill the floor of the second floor to get down to the first floor. That will require a hole to be cut.
All the first floor rooms can be fed from below by drilling up. Then you use the wall box cutout to access the wire.

If you can home run your cables from the basement through a single area (closet or other out-of-the way location) you can minimize the visual damage.

kanewolf

Titan
You will probably have to cut and patch the wall(s). Expecially if this is a two story house. You can drill the floor of the first floor from below and the ceiling of the second floor from above, but somehow you have to drill the floor of the second floor to get down to the first floor. That will require a hole to be cut.
All the first floor rooms can be fed from below by drilling up. Then you use the wall box cutout to access the wire.

If you can home run your cables from the basement through a single area (closet or other out-of-the way location) you can minimize the visual damage.

Solution
The procedure is the pretty much the same as running electrical wires and there are videos on that.

Best bet is to find a closet that has a wall that you can get to the attic and is over something in the basement that you do not have to tear up a lot. If you have no ceiling in the basement then it is pretty easy. I would cut a fairly large hole in the closet wall to make it easier to drill both up and down. It is actually somewhat simpler to patch a large hole than a smaller one. Since it is in the closet you do not have to be a expert and spray texture hides a lot. If you have to cut into a ceiling or a wall in a room the patching is the same but you likely will end up having to paint a much larger area to hide the new and old paints

The wiring is actually the simple part it is fixing damage that takes the real skill

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I think I have a closet that might work. That's the next step to explore. It has access to the bathroom pipes and I'm hoping that might be my go between as it's on the main floor and might be my 'easy' fix to get the line from the basement to the attic and back down again.

Tell me more about needing pvc pipes?

kanewolf

Titan

You don't need them. If this was new construction, and you could install them in the wall they make things easier. You can leave a pull string in each run in addition to the cables. If you ever have to pull additional cable, you already have a pull string run. I use synthetic mason's line for low voltage pulls. Plenty strong enough.