[SOLVED] Any suggestions of what I should do ?????

Dec 10, 2020
Current Specs:
I5 7500
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 2400 mhz memory
550W power Corsair CX550M
Samsung (something) m.2 nvme 1tb Cant remember name but basically one of the best you can buy.
Monitor 165HZ Asus monitor (hz is important)
Budget: £500-600
Basically a competitive gamer who plays Games such as Valorant (at decent level) and Rainbow six siege (mid level). And Im looking to upgrade my PC as having problems reaching the fps I want in these listed games. In Valorant I want 165fps constant as Looking to get the most out of my monitor and also want to be able to run the newly released Cyberpunk 2077 at min 60fps (any graphics settings) My first thought is to upgrade my GPU but with so many on the market Im not sure which one to buy. Also worried about that my CPU inst good enough for gaming but after reading several threads the CPU does not seem to impact gaming very much. Hoping some people who know what there talking about can respond to this with some ideas instead of me bringing it into a store where they will just say you need to upgrade your system.
Overall My main outcome I want to have is be able to play Valorant at constant 165fps while also being able to play Cyberpunk at 60fps. My PC currently gets 200fps looking at the floor in Valorant, But when in a gun fight it sometimes drops to around about 70-80fps and causes game to stutter. (Not very Ideal when your trying to reach the top) Running around in Valorant I get around 100-130.
Specs I think may work:
RTX 2070
Anything else please tell me :/

Any suggestions please reply to me.

(All games are installed on SSD so no problem loading into games just cant get solid fps)

Last edited:
Solution
I see. Any suggestions on which CPU is worth upgrading too. For example is there any decent LGA 1151 Socket CPUs worth upgrading too or will I need to upgrade motherboard as well. Thanks for your help by the way means a lot.

There are no CPUs compatible with your motherboard that are worth upgrading to; the i7-7700k is the fastest one that's compatible, but its overpriced and not faster enough.

I would recommend you buy a B550 motherboard (AM4 socket) and pair it with a Ryzen 5600x (6 cores, 12 threads, good boost clocks and good IPC). The 5600x is difficult to find in stock, so if you choose to upgrade and are having a hard time getting it a Ryzen 3600 will do ok as well, although the 5600x is significantly better.

Both...
The GTX1060 was a good 1080P card 3 years ago, and is still decent even in newer games albeit at reduced quality detail levels in even the newer games...

However, the poor i5-7500, with but 4c/4t, is going to struggle maintaining adequate min/average FPS in lots of games from the past 2-3 years...

I'd start looking for perhaps a good deal on a B550/R5-5600X (or even a 3600/3600X in light of near-zero supply levels of most -5000 series CPUs) (If an Intel fan, many are finding good prices on B460/i5-10400F-based combos..)

Dec 10, 2020
The GTX1060 was a good 1080P card 3 years ago, and is still decent even in newer games albeit at reduced quality detail levels in even the newer games...

However, the poor i5-7500, with but 4c/4t, is going to struggle maintaining adequate min/average FPS in lots of games from the past 2-3 years...

I'd start looking for perhaps a good deal on a B550/R5-5600X (or even a 3600/3600X in light of near-zero supply levels of most -5000 series CPUs) (If an Intel fan, many are finding good prices on B460/i5-10400F-based combos..)

Hey Thanks for such a quick reply. Funny you managed to guess exactly when I bought my GPU. Mainly bought a 1060 at the time as it was a good GPU for the money and I was only going to be playing games for fun. So If Im correct you believe it is more of the CPU issue than a GPU. And also a reason I cannot really upgrade a CPU is the reason Ive not built a PC of my own, So Removing the motherboard and replacing it with a lga 1200 motherboard is not my strongest area. Any opinions on Lga 1151 CPUs and any of them worth upgrading too. Again thanks for replying so quickly. (Worse case scenario I could watch a couple of youtube vids while replacing them. Watched several of how to make them but always dont trust myself of how I could mess it up lol.)

Intel CPUs are not generally worth upgrading, since they are pretty limited in what you can install in them. I would suggest getting a new GPU first though, based on my opinions. However, the best way to tell what you need to upgrade first will be the usage. Play the games you want to play the most, like R6S and Valorent. Watch the CPU and GPU usage. Ideally, you would be at 90-100% GPU utilization and 90% CPU utilization. If you are getting significantly lower usage on either CPU or GPU, upgrade the other first. If, for example, your CPU is being used 60% and the GPU 100%, then upgrading the GPU would be the best option, since the CPU has more performance to give, and the GPU is limiting your performance. It is important to do this test in more than one game or program, because different games will use the PC differently. While R6S might be ideal usage, Valorent may be CPU limited. Just examples, but you should check in multiple programs and figure out which part is generally holding you back, since it might swap from CPU to GPU depending on the game.

Dec 10, 2020
Intel CPUs are not generally worth upgrading, since they are pretty limited in what you can install in them. I would suggest getting a new GPU first though, based on my opinions. However, the best way to tell what you need to upgrade first will be the usage. Play the games you want to play the most, like R6S and Valorent. Watch the CPU and GPU usage. Ideally, you would be at 90-100% GPU utilization and 90% CPU utilization. If you are getting significantly lower usage on either CPU or GPU, upgrade the other first. If, for example, your CPU is being used 60% and the GPU 100%, then upgrading the GPU would be the best option, since the CPU has more performance to give, and the GPU is limiting your performance. It is important to do this test in more than one game or program, because different games will use the PC differently. While R6S might be ideal usage, Valorent may be CPU limited. Just examples, but you should check in multiple programs and figure out which part is generally holding you back, since it might swap from CPU to GPU depending on the game.

Again thanks for such a quick reply. I remember attempting to play warzone a month or two ago and I say attempting because my fps was unplayable and had really bad screen stutters. I remember having task manager open while playing that, and it seemed to only ever want to use CPU. Literally 90% CPU but only max 10% GPU. So What your saying is I would have to improve my GPU if I wanted to improve warzone? As My CPU is at max but gpu was barely being used.

Again thanks for such a quick reply. I remember attempting to play warzone a month or two ago and I say attempting because my fps was unplayable and had really bad screen stutters. I remember having task manager open while playing that, and it seemed to only ever want to use CPU. Literally 90% CPU but only max 10% GPU. So What your saying is I would have to improve my GPU if I wanted to improve warzone? As My CPU is at max but gpu was barely being used.

No quite the opposite; since your CPU is being maxed out, it is holding back your GPU. Thus, in games like Warzone, Cyberpunk (very CPU heavy) and even Valorent ("But when in a gun fight it sometimes drops to around about 70-80fps and causes game to stutter") you are hitting your CPU's limits, causing things like low frame rates, stutter, bad frame times and poor GPU utilization.

In that case, you would need to upgrade the CPU. However, with that big of a performance gap, it is possible there is something else wrong. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Then redownload the latest drivers from the Nvidia website. Your GPU should be running better than that, for sure.

Here is a quote of mine from an old thread:

"When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU isn't fast enough, certain types of games will overwhelm your CPU, causing your GPU to be underutilized because it can't begin rendering a frame until it receives it from the CPU."

Dec 10, 2020
No quite the opposite; since your CPU is being maxed out, it is holding back your GPU. Thus, in games like Warzone, Cyberpunk (very CPU heavy) and even Valorent ("But when in a gun fight it sometimes drops to around about 70-80fps and causes game to stutter") you are hitting your CPU's limits, causing things like low frame rates, stutter, bad frame times and poor GPU utilization.

I see. Any suggestions on which CPU is worth upgrading too. For example is there any decent LGA 1151 Socket CPUs worth upgrading too or will I need to upgrade motherboard as well. Thanks for your help by the way means a lot.

Dec 10, 2020
In that case, you would need to upgrade the CPU. However, with that big of a performance gap, it is possible there is something else wrong. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Then redownload the latest drivers from the Nvidia website. Your GPU should be running better than that, for sure.

Im going to do that now. Also big thanks for the help!

As I said, Intel CPUs are almost unupgradable. They are very limited, not by socket, but by chipset. There are many CPUs that are physically the same, but aren't allowed to work in the same motherboard by Intel programming. Moving from your i5 to a compatible i7 is probably not worth the extra cost for the i7. I would look into getting a B550 motherboard and a Ryzen 5/7 CPU. Either 3000 series for last gen, which is still good, or 5000 series for the most modern, which are very hard to find at the moment. That being said, test the CPU/GPU usage in more games first, before upgrading. Also, dont forget to do the driver reinstall like I mentioned above to be sure the GPU is working to its highest potential.

There are no CPUs compatible with your motherboard that are worth upgrading to; the i7-7700k is the fastest one that's compatible, but its overpriced and not faster enough.

I would recommend you buy a B550 motherboard (AM4 socket) and pair it with a Ryzen 5600x (6 cores, 12 threads, good boost clocks and good IPC). The 5600x is difficult to find in stock, so if you choose to upgrade and are having a hard time getting it a Ryzen 3600 will do ok as well, although the 5600x is significantly better.

Both of the CPUs I mentioned are 6 cores and 12 threads which is considered the new "recommended spec" for modern gaming; 4 core/ 4 thread and 4 core / 8 thread CPUs just aren't enough anymore.

Solution
Dec 10, 2020

Both of the CPUs I mentioned are 6 cores and 12 threads which is considered the new "recommended spec" for modern gaming; 4 core/ 4 thread and 4 core / 8 thread CPUs just aren't enough anymore.

Any Specific version of the B550 as there is several ranging at different price ranges. Also do you recommend any CPU coolers for the 5600 or the 3600 or do you think the Stock cooler could do the job? I have no knowledge in AMD processors :/

Any Specific version of the B550 as there is several ranging at different price ranges. Also do you recommend any CPU coolers for the 5600 or the 3600 or do you think the Stock cooler could do the job? I have no knowledge in AMD processors :/

Choose a B550 motherboard that has good reviews from reputable sites (like Tom's Hardware) and that has any features you might want (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Thunderbolt 3, Gigabit Ethernet, etc.)

The stock coolers for the 3600 and 5600 are acceptable, but not much better than that. If you buy a Ryzen 5600x, I'd recommend a more robust cooler than stock because the 5600x is smart enough to boost itself to higher frequencies so long as it is provided with superior cooling. There are popular air coolers out there that work well like the Cooler Master Hyper 212X (I haven't tried it, but it gets good reviews). I personally use a Corsair H115i Pro XT (a 280mm AIO) as my CPU cooler, and I like it a lot.