Question Any suggestions on a WiFi adapter for Asus H170 Motherboard ?

kanewolf

Titan

prudhvirazz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2013
Gaming will be worse on WIFI. If you have wired network available, I strongly recommend keeping it.
My gaming days are over :) I primarily use it now for media consumption.

Long story:
My Wifi Router and PC are two different rooms. Initialy I hired an electrician to set up the LAN wire inside the walls just like electric cables. But I just renovated my home and now its just impossible to have a neat wiring. :( Hence looking for alternatives

Another solution I have is set up another router near the PC and connect using LAN wire.

kanewolf

Titan
My gaming days are over :) I primarily use it now for media consumption.

Long story:
My Wifi Router and PC are two different rooms. Initialy I hired an electrician to set up the LAN wire inside the walls just like electric cables. But I just renovated my home and now its just impossible to have a neat wiring. :( Hence looking for alternatives

Another solution I have is set up another router near the PC and connect using LAN wire.
Streaming over WIFI is not great either. If your router is in a different room, you may not get a good 5Ghz signal. Adding a WIFI access point in the room with the PC, then using WIFI could work since 5Ghz would be available.

BogdanH

Prominent
Sep 21, 2020
In general wi-fi is meant for single room. Even there's relative thin brick wall in between, it will influence fast 5GHz band -especially if signal needs to travel somewhat diagonally trough the wall.
Also keep in mind, that PC case itself is a disturbance in 5GHz signal path. Means, if your back side of PC case is oriented away from wi-fi router, then antenna(s) connected directly to PCIe card won't perform good -you should prefer standalone antenna which is connected to PCIe via cable. Ok, $50 isn't that big money, so it's maybe worth a try.
I never tried powerline adapters, but from what I've heard from friends, it might be better solution for room-to-room connection -I would probably choose that solution.
Anyway, cable is to be first choice: is very cheap, simple and very reliable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS