Question Any Suggestions on Good Lube for Fan Screws?

Oct 28, 2022
So I just Installed 2 Fans on the Bottom part of my Case (Facing Upwards), And there are some screws that is hard to make it tight, Any Suggestions on how to make it "Bite" more on the Chasis? Like lube?

So I just Installed 2 Fans on the Bottom part of my Case (Facing Upwards), And there are some screws that is hard to make it tight, Any Suggestions on how to make it "Bite" more on the Chasis? Like lube?
Lube, no but Loctite makes substances just for that.
LOCTITE 3473 is material for fixing threads, use it on chassis side. Put some in the holes, lightly oil screws and screw them in. After it cures you can unscrew them easily.

Oct 28, 2022
Lube would do the opposite. Can you provide a picture? Normally the screws bite into the fan shroud and not the case.
My case Is darkFlash DK351. I put 2 fans on its Bottom part area because There seems to be 8 mounting Holes for fans, for 120mm but Some Holes are hard to thread with the fan screws

My case Is darkFlash DK351. I put 2 fans on its Bottom part area because There seems to be 8 mounting Holes for fans, for 120mm but Some Holes are hard to thread with the fan screws
I would expect with fan on the inside of the case to screw in from the outside of the case into the fan to hold it in place. It’s not the the case that screw bites into but the fan housing, the case is just sandwiched between the fan and the screw head. I’ve not come across a case fan that does it differently.

Reactions: dudio
Oct 28, 2022
I would expect with fan on the inside of the case to screw in from the outside of the case into the fan to hold it in place. It’s not the the case that screw bites into but the fan housing, the case is just sandwiched between the fan and the screw head. I’ve not come across a case fan that does it differently.
So should I re - Screw them? Should I screw From the under?

From this it don't even support bottom fans. So the fans you put in are probably doing nothing.
Case supports bottom fans.
But yes - they do nothing. May be only provide additional RGB.

tpc_20211228060209_3.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 mounting systems for a fan in a pc. Empty holes or threaded holes.

Empty holes are just that, an empty hole. It serves 2 purposes, either allows a short/fat coarse thread screw that screws into the plastic of the fan frame, making its own threads, or its a hole to allow a 6/32nd bolt to be used to attach a radiator, either with or without a fan.

The threaded holes are 6/32nd threaded and use a radiator screw through the fan to attach the fan to the case.

ANY hole can be used as an empty hole to attach a fan, that'll be done from Behind the fan, using the short/fat coarse screws, rubber pull-through or even a nut/bokt/washers combination.

Empty holes arent used to attach fans to the case, as much as used as support instead.

Oct 28, 2022
There's 2 mounting systems for a fan in a pc. Empty holes or threaded holes.

Empty holes are just that, an empty hole. It serves 2 purposes, either allows a short/fat coarse thread screw that screws into the plastic of the fan frame, making its own threads, or its a hole to allow a 6/32nd bolt to be used to attach a radiator, either with or without a fan.

The threaded holes are 6/32nd threaded and use a radiator screw through the fan to attach the fan to the case.

ANY hole can be used as an empty hole to attach a fan, that'll be done from Behind the fan, using the short/fat coarse screws, rubber pull-through or even a nut/bokt/washers combination.

Empty holes arent used to attach fans to the case, as much as used as support instead.

UPDATE: I installed them Already Using a 30mm Radiator Screws, Yes they are "TIGHT" but some of the Screw heads are not leveled entirely in the Screw Holes but they Mount well and doesn't tilt that much, Should I continue putting them on? Or is there a Risk in the Long Run?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah. A fan is generally @ 25mm thick. Hard to gauge exactly, at the mounting point as there's differences with anti-vibration grommets etc. But generally considered 25mm. Rad screws come in 2 different lengths. And there's only a couple mm difference. The shorter rad screws are designed to go through the fan and mount directly to the rad, where the screw doesn't extend more than @ 4mm into the rad, prevents damage to fins and heat pipes. The longer screws are designed to go through the fan, through the case and then into the rad. That case wall thickness is what needs the extra bit of length.

So if using the longer of the screws, directly to threaded holes in the case, watch for the possibility of bottoming out. If using the longer screws into a rad, many rads have a stopper at 5mm under the hole, so can bottom out before the fan is tight, if you use the longer screws to mount the fan directly to the radiator.

Me, I'll test fit using a single screw, and if I don't like the fit, or the screw sinks too far into the rubber, I'll use some small painted washers to give the screw a larger base, or provide a little bit more depth, so the screw doesn't sink, but sits right and tight.

It's a judgement call, but you only need 2mm of threads into whatever is the mount to be secure.