[SOLVED] Any suggestions on how to fix gpu not booting as a gpu

Jan 21, 2020
So I built my pc a day ago and today whilst using it, it just turned off and I couldn't power it back on, the gpu was quite hot and a bit of a burnt smell. I took the gpu out and opened it to check and no sign of burn or anything so I put new thermal paste on and put it back in the pc and yet it still won't post. I also don't have integrated graphic so it's nothing to do with that either. The led logo turns on then back off then back on and boots into windows where it says the gpu is a Microsoft basic adapter rather than a gtx980 ti. I cant do anything to do with drivers or control panel as those don't show up in the bugged windows 10. It scales at 800x600. I know the slot is fine as the indicator is on showing it works.
Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700x
16gb ddr4 3000 ram
Msi 980ti
1tb ssd
Thermal take smart rgb 700w psu
Asus prime B450m a motherboard

Solution
I shouldn't have burnt up unless you had something against the fans on the GPU keeping them from turning. Is it still in warranty?
It scales at 800x600 because it is using the basic drivers an will until you install the correct drivers or run windows update. Did you buy the gtx980 ti. used? if you got it off ebay it might have a Mining bios in it.
When I installed a RX460 last year, in windows 7 it went to 800X600 until I got the drivers going, down load them on another PC and transfer with a usb stick.
I shouldn't have burnt up unless you had something against the fans on the GPU keeping them from turning. Is it still in warranty?
It scales at 800x600 because it is using the basic drivers an will until you install the correct drivers or run windows update. Did you buy the gtx980 ti. used? if you got it off ebay it might have a Mining bios in it.
When I installed a RX460 last year, in windows 7 it went to 800X600 until I got the drivers going, down load them on another PC and transfer with a usb stick.

Last edited:
Solution