Any suggestions?

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Im doing a new build and this is my first time. I have done some extensive research on the general build. I will use it for mostly media purposes but i want the ability to game if i want to. I am pretty set on the i5 2500k just for the price factor and while i dont have unlimited funds i dont want eliminate the performance just because of price. Im leaning towards p67 but I dont want to be outdated next year. anny suggestions?

Solution
I would go with Z68 because the features.
There are 3 major differences between the P67 and the Z68.

Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) lets you to use a small SSD (<50GB) to work as a caching drive to speed up the boot, start up of apps and access times.

IGP Support (Integrated Graphics on Processor) the Z68 boards have build in support for the IGP. The main advantages of this is that it will allow you to use the IGP for things like backup graphics and help with trouble shooting issues. Also with the Lucid Logix Virtu software you switch between the IGP and the dedicated video card for the best performance for the application that you are running.

Intel SATA III controller is better performing then the old...

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

is the z68 easy to overclock for someone who is a newb?

If u get an ASUS mobo P8Z68-V, the AI suite will OC to 4.4GHz without any hick up. I tried that. If u will do it manually, its easy and there is a plenty of the quality guides.

I would go with Z68 because the features.
There are 3 major differences between the P67 and the Z68.

Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) lets you to use a small SSD (<50GB) to work as a caching drive to speed up the boot, start up of apps and access times.

IGP Support (Integrated Graphics on Processor) the Z68 boards have build in support for the IGP. The main advantages of this is that it will allow you to use the IGP for things like backup graphics and help with trouble shooting issues. Also with the Lucid Logix Virtu software you switch between the IGP and the dedicated video card for the best performance for the application that you are running.

Intel SATA III controller is better performing then the old Marvell controller that is used on the P67 boards.

Z68 is also great overclocker!

Those are the differences between the Z68 and the P67.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

^ This.

Z68 and P67 overclock the same via the multiplier. It's the only way to overclock K series LGA 1155 chips.

redneck4087

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

thanks for the help if you dont mind one more qustion are there any limitations to the graphics cards i can use with that MOBO?