Any system tweaks to boost cpu? my radeon hd 6670 is bottlenecked.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
My amd radeon hd 6670 is getting bottlecked by my amd athlon x2 3.5ghz (its actually a amd phenom ii 521 3.5ghz from one of the Hp Pavilion p6000 series models. I found out it was just rebranded... -_-...)

are there any tweaks i can do to reduce the bottleneck so i can maybe squeeze a little more fps and reduce the lag spikes without having to buy a whole new processor and motherboard? (motherboard only supports a 95watt tdp so..... -_-)

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
i think it is, no matter what settings i have it on my fps doesnt change and my game stutters every few seconds. (btw, my monitor is 1600x900 and thats what i play on)

and in the task manager i can see that my cpu usage jumps around from 20% to 80%
also, in the windows experience index my processor got a 6.7 but then both graphics and gaming graphics got a 6.8.

can you guys just help me? im pretty sure its a bottleneck cause my friend who has the same graphics card as me has a amd phenom x4 955 3.2ghz can get quiet a lot more fps than me and no stuttering like im getting.
and his gpu scores for the windows experience index is over 7.0 (around 7.2 or so)

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Can someone just help me boost my cpu? -_-...

I know i should be getting more fps because my friend who has the saammme graphics card can get way more fps than me with his amd phenom 955 x4 3.2ghz

for example, in gta 4 i only get 25-30 and it stutters on all low (its the same for everything maxed out). but for my friend he can get over 70 fps outside, and a can reach a little over 100 in the interiors.

GTA IV is using a pretty bad engine. It will not run well on systems using anything less than 3 cores (since it was coded with the 360 in mine) and less than 1GB of VRAM.

There is no real way to make GTA IV run decent on your system short of you upgrading the CPU.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Oh, well theres another game im having problems with. me and my friend play this multiplayer mod for gta san andreas called Multi Theft Auto, and on a server me and my friend like to play on a lot i get a average of 40-60 and stutters in populated areas with a lot of cars and buildings.

where as my friend gets 85fps flat which is the fps limit, no stuttering.

its like that for all the other servers too, i get 40-60 with stuttering and my friend reaches the fps limit, which in some cases can be 100 because thats the max setting you can set it to for a server.

Simply because he has a better processor than you.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Like everyone said, there is no real way to upgrade your overall performance if you're not willing to sink your money. Aside from curiosity of what preset you use for the display options, I get the impression your setup are not bottleneck by neither, care if you tell us your memory? Is it runs on Dual Channel or not? And please be detail about this. You can find out for this on BIOS screen. Or just jack it out your PC and read it for us.

Essentially to run any games at best, any PC setup need at least 4GB. About 1GB alone is being fed up for OS and systems. AFAIK, GTA IV would at least requires about 1-2GB memory, and expanding to some extent with more times spent. Any less than that, you can expect some stuttering here and there. And if being fed by the right setup and amount of memory, your spec is very capable to pull off at least somewhere around 60-70 fps at your screen, at medium and without AA.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

its the normal ram that came with my Hp Pavillion p6823w, which is 4gb. Although for some reason, whenever i do a test on canyourunit it says i only have 3.5gb and for my friend who has 4gb too it says 4gb. I guess that means my ram isnt that
good?

okay i went into the bios and it said for installed memory 4096mb / Pc3-10600 then under it, it says memorybank 1: none memorybank 2: none, memory bank 3: 4096mb DDR3 Sdram, memory bank 4: none.

oh and yes, its dual channel.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
So it's physically just a single module? Dude, no wonder why you got stuttered.

Neglecting its size, a single channel memory is like a road way with only one lane to go. The data flow if say them as cars, needs to run one at the time. And that gives a high latency. Go figures.

Now, what you need to do is, take out that RAM, go to nearest PC shop and show it to the clerk and ask another one just like it. Same spec, same brand, same speed and then jack it up as Dual Channel.

See the magic.

edit: I didn't read that 3,5 part lol, with that much memory setup you MUST move to 64bit OS. 32bit OS would still recognize them as 3,5GB RAM at maxed.

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

my system is windows 7 home premium 64bit, if thats the case than i guess i should go buy some ram, ill upgrade to 8gb. Btw, does it matter if i get "gaming" ram like the corsair vengance? or could i just get the cheapest ones? will it be the same outcome if i got the cheapest ram instead of the "gaming" ram?

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Well, essentially a 2x2GB setup is good enough for most cases unless you do multitasking like crazy, which is unlikely by judging what your CPU capable of.

So go for something like that. Or going crazy with another stick of that same memory module for 2x4GB madness. Eventually at some point in near future, you would consider to put 2 more cores on your CPU, if you know what I mean :)

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Yeah, ill upgrade the cpu eventually but thats going to cost quiet a bit of money... I might even have to upgrade my motherboard too because ill be pretty limited to what cpu i can buy because of the 95watt max tdp my motherboard has.

and btw are you sure dual channel really going to help my stuttering and boost my fps a bit?

cm0scm0s

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2012
before modifying anything on ur motherboard/cpu/bios try this first.

Gamebooster.

Its a freeware program from Iobit that closes all kinds of unneeded processes and services from windows while u are gaming , it is really good software u will get a significant boost increase from it . When u are playing a game u are running Windows + The game that ur playing, this software cuts windows in half!

Try that first before u start fiddeling with things u might regret.

Here is the link.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

expect + 10-20 fps!

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

ive already used it, ive downloaded it and i looked at all the system services that it stops, went to msconfig and disabled all those then i uninstalled gamebooster. I did that so i wouldnt have to run gamebooster in the backround and wouldnt have to keep clicking boost everytime i start my pc up.

im a processes whore, i goto the task manager and always try to keep it under 35 or so lol.. (with windows xp i could get it down to 14 haha xD)

Jdm13oiZz

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

oh i hope so, if it doesnt really do anything, at least id be pretty happy with my faster load times :D

Ewww. Thats just cheap.

I can't do that.

But honestly you want matching RAM. When I bought my Vengance, I bought all 4 sticks at the same time to guarantee compatibility. You don't want to mix and match as stability goes down the drain.

What do you have right now?