Any tips for first time builder?

kefloxin

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Hey guys, I ordered my new PC parts and I was wondering if there's any times you guys might have for a first time builder? Anything that might help. For example, a specific order of doing things, common mistakes, anything will help. It's my first time so I want to make sure everything works out alright. I don't have plans to overclock for a long time which is why I'm sticking with stock cooler.

In case you're wondering what I ordered:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
i7 920
G.SKILL F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ
Antec 900
Corsair 850TX 850W
Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB
EVGA E-GEFORCE GTX 260 Core 216 55NM
Samsung SH-S222A DVD Writer

I already ordered all the parts. Just waiting for them to come so any tips or anything you guys have to say, I'd appreciate it. :) Thanks in advance.

kefloxin

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Maybe later in the future but not right now. I was going to go with 750W but it was only 20$ more so I decided to go with that.

kefloxin

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Ah ok. Well, yeah, if I get my hands on some extra money, I might add another one. You scared me for a second. :p Any tips on actually building the computer physically though?

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Really donn't get what you mean, do you want a step by step on how to add things into the case? If so, go to youtube and type in "How to" and what ever your needing, better to watch then to look at words being typed.

kefloxin

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Yeah, I've watched a lot of videos, but I don't want to miss something, so I just posted here in case someone's got something to suggest. :S

That is a good list of parts.
Good thing, because the time to ask about the parts is before you order.

I would also consider getting a decent oem heat sink up front. Those things don't cost all that much, and you need to install them while the mobo is outside of the case.

1) Download and read the manuals for the case and the motherboard cover to cover while you are waiting for parts to come.

2) Installing the cooler can be tricky.
It is a pain, but the ONLY way to mount the cooler is to do it outside of the case.
A) The pushpins are hard to get down. If you try to do it with the mobo in the case, you will bend the motherboard and possibly cause other problems. Just put the mobo on a piece of cardboard.
B) You need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard to be certain that all 4 pins are through and locked.

First, look at the cooler, and play with the pins, until you understand how they work. Read the Intel instructions that came with your cpu. The trick is to push in a diagonal pair of pins at the same time.

---good luck---