Any tips on getting a AMD mobile 2500 to maxium possible s..

Any tips on getting a AMD mobile 2500 to maxium possible speed ?

Using Abit NF7-S 2.0, bios 24 latest i think.

Ive got it to 13 X 200 2600 ghz, 43c idle though not tested and
running at that now, its at 1.9 volts might not need that to get it
but put it their so it would atleast boot :)

I tried 13.5 2700 ghz but pc just failed to boot.

Iam using pc3200 OCZ LL Platium Ram and can get 200 fsb easy, should i
try lower multipler and higher FSB, would that make a difference.

I just have no idea what other settings in the bios may effect a good
overclock, i mean at 43 idle the cpu has plenty ot room to overclock
just need the right settings to do so.

Just having fun and seeing how much i can push the cpu, would like to
try to go over 2.7 ghz on air :0, if i can do that might try water
cooling and try for 3.0 :-0, though that would be pushing it.

If you can help please do, iam having so much fun overclocking.

Thanks again.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 03:36:11 +1000, OCZ Guy
<ModenMr@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>Any tips on getting a AMD mobile 2500 to maxium possible speed ?
>
>Using Abit NF7-S 2.0, bios 24 latest i think.
>

>Ive got it to 13 X 200 2600 ghz, 43c idle though not tested and
>running at that now, its at 1.9 volts might not need that to get it
>but put it their so it would atleast boot :)
>
>I tried 13.5 2700 ghz but pc just failed to boot.

FIrst thing's first, confirm proper operation at any given speed
before o'c any further, since you're already at 2.6Ghz level.

Run Prime95's Turture Test, "In-Place Large FFTs" setting. If
your system wouldn't even post at 2.7 there's a fair chance it's
not stable at 2.6... might error out and stop within seconds or
minutes.

>Iam using pc3200 OCZ LL Platium Ram and can get 200 fsb easy, should i
>try lower multipler and higher FSB, would that make a difference.

It will increase performance but if the bios shows the timings
you might want a notch below the speed that causes higher
timings.... or manually set timings intead, but be sure to test
with memtest86, particularly test #5, before booting/running the
OS.

Determine what revision your m'board is and check some online
forums, fellow users of that board to get an idea for the max FSB
it'll do stable (ignoring the other variables like memory). I'd
expect at least 220FSB (DDR440) unless it's an old revision.

>I just have no idea what other settings in the bios may effect a good
>overclock, i mean at 43 idle the cpu has plenty ot room to overclock
>just need the right settings to do so.

Well right now you're at 2.6, there is no setting in particular
that's likely to get you past the no-post situation at 2.7,
EXCEPT higher Vcore... given your situation with the heatsink it
might be good to get the best heatsink on the chip then you'll
have the best idea of where your temp limitation will be, to the
extent that it limits vcore and max speed. Of course you'll also
need to check power supply and confirm that it's holding rails
stable, not fluctuating a lot at those high speeds, your CPU will
be capable of using in excess of 100W power by itself at your
current rate.

>Just having fun and seeing how much i can push the cpu, would like to
>try to go over 2.7 ghz on air :0, if i can do that might try water
>cooling and try for 3.0 :-0, though that would be pushing it.
>

>If you can help please do, iam having so much fun overclocking.
>
>Thanks again.

3.0 is unlikely on water, maybe with a compressor. 2.7 is above
average too. What you might do is lower the CPU muliplier (like
around 9X) so the CPU has plenty of headroom, then start raising
the FSB, so you'll have an idea of where the board and memory are
limiting you, isolating them.