[SOLVED] Any tips on speeding up NAS data migration across my network

I recently purchased a new Synology D220+ to replace my DIY FreeNAS server, and am currently migrating data across...sloooooowly!

Due to the construction of our house, hard wired ethernet isn't an option. The old FreeNAS box is connected to the net work via a switch, which is connected via Powerline to the network. The new Synology box is also connected to the same switch.

I've mounted a couple of the drives from each NAS in Windows Explorer and am migrating from one to the other that way. Average transfer speeds in 1MB/s 😏

I set off 77GB of transfers last night, and it's taken 16 hours to transfer 50Gb, with another estimated 7.5 hours left to do the remaining 27GB.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. At this rate I could be here for weeks.

Any recommendations on how I can speed up the process? Would it be possible for example, to take out, and connect one of the drives from the FreeNAS box, directly to the Synology via usb3?

Thanks for any advice 😀

Solution
I recently purchased a new Synology D220+ to replace my DIY FreeNAS server, and am currently migrating data across...sloooooowly!

Due to the construction of our house, hard wired ethernet isn't an option. The old FreeNAS box is connected to the net work via a switch, which is connected via Powerline to the network. The new Synology box is also connected to the same switch.

I've mounted a couple of the drives from each NAS in Windows Explorer and am migrating from one to the other that way. Average transfer speeds in 1MB/s 😏

I set off 77GB of transfers last night, and it's taken 16 hours to transfer 50Gb, with another estimated 7.5 hours left to do the remaining 27GB.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. At this rate I could be...

kanewolf

Titan

That's only the tip of the iceberg. At this rate I could be here for weeks.

Any recommendations on how I can speed up the process? Would it be possible for example, to take out, and connect one of the drives from the FreeNAS box, directly to the Synology via usb3?

Thanks for any advice 😀
If the FreeNAS and Synology are on the same switch, you should use the Linux FreeNAS to copy data. Create an NFS share on the Synology and mount that on FreeNAS.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf - thanks for that tip. Is there an idiots guide somewhere for that process? I got as far as enabling NFS on both the the Synology and the FreeNAS boxes. I started to fiddle around with NFS permissions on a shared folder in the Synology box, but I was already way out of my depth 🤣
Here is a guide to mounting a remote (CIFS or NFS) folder on Synology -- https://kb.synology.com/en-in/DSM/help/FileStation/mountremotevolume?version=6
You could then use the File Station app on the Synology to copy from the remote NFS mount. I would recommend NFS since both the FreeNAS and Synology are Linux hosts. NFS (v4 if you can) will be the most efficient.

@kanewolf - thanks very much.

I followed the process. Not sure if the syntax is right?

For folder, I put in the destination of the FrreeNAS folder 192.XXX.X.XX:/NasShare/NAS Media/Movies and selected v4 for the Version. It then auto filled the Mount to field (/Media/Movies) and when I then clicked Mount it said "The destination should be any empty folder", so I clicked ok and now the Mount to field is /Media/Movies(2). I clicked Mount again, and this time it says "Connection failed. Please make sure the remote server is accessible via NFS" But I already turned on the NFS toggle in FreeNAS.

Am I being a dullard?

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf - thanks very much.

I followed the process. Not sure if the syntax is right?

For folder, I put in the destination of the FrreeNAS folder 192.XXX.X.XX:/NasShare/NAS Media/Movies and selected v4 for the Version. It then auto filled the Mount to field (/Media/Movies) and when I then clicked Mount it said "The destination should be any empty folder", so I clicked ok and now the Mount to field is /Media/Movies(2). I clicked Mount again, and this time it says "Connection failed. Please make sure the remote server is accessible via NFS" But I already turned on the NFS toggle in FreeNAS.

Am I being a dullard?
The "destination" is the folder you want the remote file system to show up on you Synology. So you might want /volume1/remote or /media/remote. Then you would copy from remote to the folder you want the data to go into. So you can't mount to /media/movies because you already have files in that directory. You need a temporary directory to use as the access path to the remote folder.

@kanewolf Thanks for your patience - I must be missing something. This is the FreeNas path I'm coming from (i.e. I want this folder to show on my Synology:
\\192.XXX.X.XX\NasShare\NAS Media\Movies (according to Synology the correct syntax in this case would be 192.XXX.X.XX:/NasShare/NAS Media/Movies - a colon after the ip, and forward slashes not back) - This is what should go in the "Folder" field when mounting a remote folder, correct?

I've created an empty 'Test' folder on the Synology (see image), and as you can see it's automatically created /Test/Movies

Now when I click Mount, its just says "Connection failed. Please make sure the remote server is accessible via NFS"

So sorry if I'm misunderstanding something obvious!

kanewolf

Titan
@kanewolf Thanks for your patience - I must be missing something. This is the FreeNas path I'm coming from (i.e. I want this folder to show on my Synology:
\\192.XXX.X.XX\NasShare\NAS Media\Movies (according to Synology the correct syntax in this case would be 192.XXX.X.XX:/NasShare/NAS Media/Movies - a colon after the ip, and forward slashes not back) - This is what should go in the "Folder" field when mounting a remote folder, correct?

I've created an empty 'Test' folder on the Synology (see image), and as you can see it's automatically created /Test/Movies

Now when I click Mount, its just says "Connection failed. Please make sure the remote server is accessible via NFS"

So sorry if I'm misunderstanding something obvious!
I have Synology hardware but not a FreeNAS. You should double check the NFS settings on the FreeNAS host.
Maybe look through this thread on FreeNAS NFS shared folders -- https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/nfs-sharing-export-options.68618/#post-470582 Especially the links shown.
Your 192.168.x.y:/aaa/bbb is the correct syntax for the remote folder on the Synology.

If you're replacing your old NAS, why does the new NAS need to be on the other side of the house? Can't you put them on the same switch until the initial data transfer is complete, that's what I do when copying my NAS.

Also, FTP is the fastest, there's significantly less handshaking compared to other protocols. So when you get a directory with tons of small files like documents, FTP is much much faster.

I don't know about Synology, but on QNAP, I just do a Hybrid Backup job and have it copy from an FTP file directory on the old NAS. Do that for each share.