Any Upgrade From 7700K worth it for gaming.

• Thread starter Deleted member 362816
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 362816

7700k is run at 5.2ghz stable.

4k Monitor

Gtx 1080ti

Is there any worthy cpu to upgrade to for better performance or is it good enough?

Please don't say get the 8700k because we know that's pointless.

Budget- Don't really have one if the upgrade is worth it.

Solution
For gaming; nope. You might see a few FPS gains in some games, but overall nothing that would be worth it just for gaming. Not even worth upgrading from a 4770K just for gaming at this point. My 4770K@4.3Ghz+GTX 1080 vs Techpowerup 7700K@4.8Ghz+GTX 1080 in GRW; 1.59 FPS gain from going to the 7700K, for example. Most games still don't use more than 4 cores; and any that do, usually don't gain much from it. Heck, most games still run on two cores/4 threads. CPU gains in gaming are very, very minimal since Bloomfield; the only catch would be if you were on PCIE 2.0 which can bottleneck something like a GTX 1080 as far as I can tell. With a 7700K you are set for quite a while. There is no 6 core gaming revolution going on, and games are...
D

Deleted member 362816

Are any x299 options better. Budget is not a huge issue at this time.

The X299 options tend to do a bit worse than the 7700k in a lot of games due to the mesh bus on those chips causing higher latency and the higher core counts on these chips generally lead to lower overclocks. Unless the games you play scale exceptionally well across more than 8 threads (there are few titles out right now that do this), you wouldn't see any performance uplift.

In any case, if you're running a 4K monitor, you're going to be GPU bound pretty much entirely, so the only benefit in a CPU upgrade would be if you plan on livestreaming or running some other CPU intensive task in the background while gaming.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's no real worthwhile upgrade worth the cost. The x299 CPUs aren't actually superior for gaming and in fact, they will tend to be slightly inferior in single-core speed to the 7700k due to, as Supernova notes, the lower clock speeds. While we're at the point at which 4 cores, 8 threads is a boost over 4 cores, 4 threads, 18/36 or 16/32 are beneficial to certain workstation uses, not gaming.

For gaming; nope. You might see a few FPS gains in some games, but overall nothing that would be worth it just for gaming. Not even worth upgrading from a 4770K just for gaming at this point. My 4770K@4.3Ghz+GTX 1080 vs Techpowerup 7700K@4.8Ghz+GTX 1080 in GRW; 1.59 FPS gain from going to the 7700K, for example. Most games still don't use more than 4 cores; and any that do, usually don't gain much from it. Heck, most games still run on two cores/4 threads. CPU gains in gaming are very, very minimal since Bloomfield; the only catch would be if you were on PCIE 2.0 which can bottleneck something like a GTX 1080 as far as I can tell. With a 7700K you are set for quite a while. There is no 6 core gaming revolution going on, and games are still going to care more about CPU speed+4 cores+GPU for quite a while (and have for the better part of a decade so far).

Solution
D

Deleted member 362816

Oh how far we have come for gaming. I honestly didn't see much of a improvement over my old 4690k vs 7700k.

D

Deleted member 362816

Other than Intel doesn't solder anything anymore and my temps blow. Temps are a reason I want to switch to x399 or x370

There are a couple of newer games that do start to struggle a bit on the older i5s with only 4 threads, eg. Assassin's Creed Origins, Watch Dogs 2 and large Battlefield 1 multiplayer maps, but yeah, outside of those specific titles there typically isn't a big performance boost to be had switching to an i7.

D

Deleted member 362816

I miss the days when after a year or 2 components would outdate I like upgrading. At the same time I refuse to throw money down for less than a 15% increase in performance. Microcenter is 4 hours from me am going there was a yearly thing and it was fun but what's the point if nothing is a gain. I do like the 1950x but I see it's a slug in games. The thought of 16/32 soldered sounds good but not really for what I need

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Intel hasn't had anything really past @10% improvements in any next gen since 1st gen Sandy's over old lga775. Too much 'tick-tock'. For you to see any sizable difference worth noting, you'll be waiting around for 9th or even 10th gen unless they mix it up with a refresh in there too.

Ay less than @15% increase from 7th gen i7 to 8th gen i7 not worth the trip, and Ryzen plus about equal at your level of performance, about the only upgrading you could do would be aesthetics or cooling or with a new case and fans, both.

CPU wise, no upgrade has wowed me cpu-wise since my 2009 Bloomfield i7 960; sure incremental improvements that are hardly perceptible outside of the PCIE 2.0 disadvantage of the motherboard it is paired with mean sticking anything more powerful than a 980Ti in there results in some bottlenecking (would love to get an X58 PCIE 3.0 board to see what difference that would make). But it's perfectly capable of delivering a great gaming experience @1080p/1440p with a 980Ti. It would be a different story if games and programs were on average written for 6+cores, but nope. I've got Haswell/Haswell-E i7s, Skylake i5/i7s, and my Bloomfield all in the same room; with a 1070 or 980Ti you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between any of them on average as far as gaming is concerned.

Perhaps your temps would not 'suck' as bad if you were not at 5.2 GHz? :)

But, only 1 person in 100 gets those clock speeds with an 8700K, so, just gaining two cores is not yet the 'complete utopia' in gaming some would hope, but, certainly more than 8 threads will be nice in the future, although it's not 'vital' just yet, based on the 7700K's current performance...