[SOLVED] Any use for an old graphics card?

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
I just ugraded from my GTX 1050TI. There's nothing wrong with it; it just wasn't up to running the number of monitors I use. Is there anything i can do with it?

A buddy told me to slap it in an old tower and farm bit coin with it. That's nonsense though, right?

Another friend told me I can somehow run two graphics cards on one system and somehow benefit from that. But that seems even more rediculous.

If I could put this old thing to good use; I'd like to, but this just sounds weird.

Thanks for your time.

Solution
Don't bother crypto mining.

SLI isn't worth it (and I don't think 1050ti can even do that even). SLI needs to have two of the same chips (aka 2x GTX1050Ti)

Sell it. Someone can put it in their old OEM (Dell/HP/Lenovo) desktop.
Don't bother crypto mining.

SLI isn't worth it (and I don't think 1050ti can even do that even). SLI needs to have two of the same chips (aka 2x GTX1050Ti)

Sell it. Someone can put it in their old OEM (Dell/HP/Lenovo) desktop.

Solution
I just ugraded from my GTX 1050TI. There's nothing wrong with it; it just wasn't up to running the number of monitors I use. Is there anything i can do with it?

A buddy told me to slap it in an old tower and farm bit coin with it. That's nonsense though, right?

Another friend told me I can somehow run two graphics cards on one system and somehow benefit from that. But that seems even more rediculous.

If I could put this old thing to good use; I'd like to, but this just sounds weird.

Thanks for your time.
[/QUOTE

You cant run two cards in one build without an SLI bridge. I dont think the 10 series cards support that and you would need another card of the exact same model, not a newer card with an older card.
Cryptocurrency mining has lost its profit in the past few years, most people actually use up more electricity while mining then they're actually making so its usually not smart or beneficial. Your best option is to sell it on Ebay or Amazon as used or if your into it, melt it down for the valuable metals inside. Wont be much money but its profit.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Wait...people will buy an old graphics card like this? Why?

Surely there cannot be much in the way of valuable metals in this little thing? Now I know that SIM cards can actually be worth it for the gold, but I've no idea of something like this.

Wait...people will buy an old graphics card like this? Why?

Surely there cannot be much in the way of valuable metals in this little thing? Now I know that SIM cards can actually be worth it for the gold, but I've no idea of something like this.
All modern electronics, especially GPUs contain gold and various other metals, melting it wont make you as much as selling it would though. People would love to buy this card. The 10 series is still widely used today and they have been discontinued. Im sure if its at a good price point, someone will buy it. Just clean off most of the dust on the card if you can.

I explained why.
Old OEM machines (3rd gen Intel or older) only 'officially' support GTX10xx series GPUs at max. The 1050Ti is coveted because it satisfies this requirement while also not requiring external power (which very few OEM PSUs have). Since most of those machines are locked i3 or i5, the 1050Ti is actually a really nice match for them.

Beachhead1985

Reputable
Jan 20, 2020
Sorry, I didn't understand.

So someone with an older computer and a not-as-good graphics card would like this to upgrade, because newer stuff won't mesh?

I think this was a couple hundred bucks when I bought it (about what I paid for the new one, now that i think of it).

Poking around On kijiji, I'm kind of stunned. I could absolutely sell this. I'm flabbergasted. I was just going to toss it in an e-waste bin! Thank you.