Any way to create a Windows 2000 install disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody1999

Admirable
Hi all,

I've recently been called upon by my old school to fix a computer that had broken. After fixing the PC (some old Pentium III machine) I realised that all the computers were still running Windows 2000 and I had to reinstall the OS. The problem is, the broken computer needs to be running Win2000 otherwise it won't work with the incredibly old school media server.

So, is there anyway I can create a bootable USB to install WIndows 2000 on the PC?

Woody

Solution

That would probably work.

USAFRet

Titan

A bootable USB probably won't work on that old hardware. Booting from a USB is a relatively recent concept.

Woody1999

Admirable
Hm, all the computers had a USB expansion card installed, maybe they were added later.

Is it really as simply as burning an ISO to a floppy disk? There's nothing like what Microsoft's USB/DVD Install Disk software does?

Woody

USAFRet

Titan

A USB interface is one thing, ability to boot from that is another.
If it has a CD drive, the MS too you reference might work.

But...do you have the relevant license key for that Win2000?

Woody1999

Admirable
Aha, the old school IT technician kept a list of all the product keys somewhere...that's all I remember being told by one of the clueless teachers :p

As far as upgrading goes, it's a helluva lot of money. The school has 60 computers, take it as £200 for each modern office PC (including bulk order discount) and that's £12,000 of computers, not including the cost of the new server!

Woody

Edit: I'm not entirely certain that each computer has an optical drive (it was a week or so ago now) but they definitely had a floppy disk drive....now time to raid some drawers for an old floppy disk :D

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i would assume the school it has an install disk somewhere with the keys but you never know. i've seen all kinds of odd things at schools.

win 2k is too big for a floppy disk but they should have a cd/dvd drive to install from. just a simple burned iso file and you should be good to go for your reinstalling adventure.

USAFRet

Titan

I understand the budget thing. But what software and capabilities are they missing out by staying on the old hardware?

No, I am NOT advocating 'newer is always better'. But there comes a time...
Might want to suggest looking into a government or corporate grant.
Or a bake sale.

Woody1999

Admirable
To be honest, the computers are used for nothing other than a painting program, browsing the web with Opera, and a small school email system. They don't really need anything you or I would use on a PC, being a primary school (that's kindergarten to sixth grade to you yanks).

Woody

Woody1999

Admirable
I considered running Lubuntu or Mint, however completely reinstalling the operating systems of 60 computers, and then dealing with the driver plagues caused by any Linux install on every single one of them changed my mind. I wouldn't do that even for the £12,000 it would cost to buy a load of new PCs.

Woody

Edit: not to mention that all the kids and teachers would have to learn how to use Linux, and deal with having to use Wine for a lot of their stuff.

USAFRet

Titan

That is a big red flag.
Of course they don't need to be powerful machines. Very low end boxes would work for this.
But unfettered web access, with people who are (saying it nicely) not tech savvy, on machines that have not had any security updates in years...
Well, that's a recipe for disaster.

I bet if I put up flyers in the neighborhood, you'd get the funding right quick.
"The computers in your childs school are unsafe! People are going online with them, and those systems have not had a security update in years! A small donation, and we can fix this dangerous situation"
(only sort of joking here)

Woody1999

Admirable

The internet access is limited to nothing but the school website, and the school email access. I think the teachers have access to Youtube, Wikipedia etc. but not much else. The old IT technician knew about the security risk of Win2000 and actively controlled it.

Woody

USAFRet

Titan
Also, look at this as a potential job opportunity.
You, the resident teen geek...take the lead. Organize some funding, manage, with a couple of minions, the entire switchover, be it new systems, or just to Linux on the existing hardware.
Be the Project Manager.

For a potential employer in a couple of years, say "When I was 17, I managed a budget of £15,000 for the hardware and software upgrade for an entire school. 60+ PC's, 200 users."

Woody1999

Admirable
Good plan, very unlikely to happen in real life unfortunately. The community round here is more likely to douse any poster I put up with the latest chav-tastic cider then burn it than take notice of it.

Just realised that Windows 2000 isn't actually 2000, therefore it's older than me...I'm 15 :p *cough Woody1999*

Woody

USAFRet

Titan

That's where your local newspaper comes in...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.