[SOLVED] Any way to fix a "broken" SSD after using Windows Storage Spaces?

Oct 22, 2021
Hello,

A few months ago, I purchased two Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2TB drives that I set up as a single simple drive via Windows 10's Storage Spaces. They were then used as a secondary drive on my main computer.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I did not need all of the space provided by the two drives, and here is where I made a stupid mistake.

Instead of removing both of the drives via the Storage Spaces feature, I physically removed one of the drives, intending to eventually install it on another computer (late night, bad decision). I then removed the remaining drive from the storage space and deleted the storage space itself. The first drive worked as expected with ~2TB of space.

Now that I am trying to use the second drive on a different computer, I receive an error when initializing the disk stating "A Storage Spaces internal error occurred." Checking the Event Viewer, I see the following: error: "VDS fails to write boot code on a disk during clean operation. Error code: 80E70002@02070008".

After I realized what I'd done, I put the second drive back into the original computer, but of course, I cannot remove the drive from the storage space, because the space has been deleted.

Is there anything that I can do to reset or re-initialize the second drive so that is a standalone disk that is usable?

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2021
try the samsung secure erase tool?
Thanks. This did it.

Honestly, the way that the Samsung Magician tool's UI was set up, I thought that the Secure Erase feature was going to erase the drive I was viewing. Since the "broken" drive wasn't showing up, I assumed the feature would not work. Guess that's what I get for assuming.

FYI for anyone who reads this in the future - make sure Device Manager is closed before getting the tool to create the bootable USB drive. It will invariably fail otherwise (at least it did for me).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS