[SOLVED] Any way to know the Windows version (Vista/7/8/8.1/10) for a non-working hard drive?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Any way to know the Windows version (Vista/7/8/8.1/10) for a non-working hard drive (but system files still accessible)?

I'd like to be able to plug a Windows boot hard drive with USB or similar and know the Windows version installed on it. I've read some posts out there but none that works for any OS from Vista to Windows 10.

Any help much welcome.

Solution
such as to call back my customer and ask "You've got Windows 8 installed, would you like it upgraded to Windows 10?" (obviously)
This then goes to...what system did this come out of?
Anything Win 7 or later can Upgrade to Win 10. But if the drive is not working, you'll need the license key.
If it was preinstalled in a prebuilt system, you won't be able to retrieve that.
If it was an OS that they purchased and installed, then maybe they have the original email, listing the license key.

USAFRet

Titan
such as to call back my customer and ask "You've got Windows 8 installed, would you like it upgraded to Windows 10?" (obviously)
Anything Win 7 or later can Upgrade to Win 10. But if the drive is not working, you'll need the license key.
If it was preinstalled in a prebuilt system, you won't be able to retrieve that.
If it was an OS that they purchased and installed, then maybe they have the original email, listing the license key.

Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Yes you can, from the registry. Let me come back to you when I have a more whole answer.

USAFRet

Titan