Question Any way to make my Ryzen 3700X cooler quieter?

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hey, PC noob here, just got my first rig a few days ago. I didn't build it myself but I chose all the parts. My Ryzen's cooler is distractingly loud pretty much at all times - I don't mind it while games are running since I use headphones anyway, and I'm not out for the quietest machine on the market or anything but I don't see why it should be making noise like this just when I'm browsing Twitter.

Kind of a pain. My friend has the same CPU and says it's pretty quiet, is this normal? Thanks in advance.

Specs:
NZXT H500 Mid Tower Gaming Case
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz
Corsair TX650M 650W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2-2280 NVMe PCIe SSD
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III SSD
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA III 3.5" HDD
x2 BitFenix Spectre PWM 140mm Fan - White
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB
Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO (non-Wifi) Motherboard

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, you make it quieter by replacing it. Otherwise, it is a decent heatsink that does get loud when under a heavy CPU load.

I have one exactly like it just a few feet away from me that will get replaced soon for the very same reason.

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
What are CPU temps at idle and load? If its loud at idle and temps are decent you may be able to tweak the CPU fan profile to make it a bit quieter at idle in the BIOS. Besides that you could look into upgrading the cooler.
Not sure about under load to be honest, would running something like MSI Kombustor help with that?

This is what I get in Ryzen Master if it helps, with barely anything running.

Screenshot-4.png

To be honest, right now I'd only want to replace it if I can't find a way to make it quieter just during general browsing. It's totally fine if it gets loud while playing games and whatnot.

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
A good place to start is with some info.

Case.
Case fans # and locations and orientation.
Ambient room temp.
Idle temp : 37°C
Gaming temp.

Even a pic of the case sideways without the side panel on would be good.
NZXT H500 case
x2 BitFenix Spectre PWM 140mm Fan - White (front, not sure about orientation tbh)
Ambient room temp, according to the app I just tried, is about 18C.
Temps after running Doom at 1440p/144fps for a few minutes:

Screenshot-7.png

Case/fan pics, with the side panel on though as it's a little bit of a hassle to get it off with my fairly limited space:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nice setup!

In Ryzen master memory, you have that Off. It's better if that's on with memory clocks under 1866MHz.

18°C? That's chilly. That puts your room at closer to 65°F. Idle temps usually run @ 6-12°C above ambient in a case with decent airflow. It seems that's not something you have. You've got 2x intake fans and no rear exhaust. That's going to create a Hotbox which would definitely explain why idle is so high.

It's impossible to cool something below ambient temps by mechanical means. The ambient air to the cpu cooler is the air inside the case. So the absolute lowest temp you'll get is your case temps. The cooler is starting out with at least 37°C air blowing across it and under loads that's just going to get higher, especially if the gpu is an axial design not a blower style as that'll be dumping more heat into the case.

I'd seriously start with getting an exhaust fan or 2.

Reactions: Clueless1200

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Nice setup!

In Ryzen master memory, you have that Off. It's better if that's on with memory clocks under 1866MHz.

18°C? That's chilly. That puts your room at closer to 65°F. Idle temps usually run @ 6-12°C above ambient in a case with decent airflow. It seems that's not something you have. You've got 2x intake fans and no rear exhaust. That's going to create a Hotbox which would definitely explain why idle is so high.

It's impossible to cool something below ambient temps by mechanical means. The ambient air to the cpu cooler is the air inside the case. So the absolute lowest temp you'll get is your case temps. The cooler is starting out with at least 37°C air blowing across it and under loads that's just going to get higher, especially if the gpu is an axial design not a blower style as that'll be dumping more heat into the case.

I'd seriously start with getting an exhaust fan or 2.
OK, so should I basically buy another two of those BitFenix fans? Not sure how good they are but they're pretty quiet at least. By exhaust fans, do you mean near the back next to/above the CPU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'd probably need to reboot to reset the fan curve. The way the pic shows, cpu fan is hitting 100% at @ 65°C. That's a little steep, but while better for temps overall, it's worse for noise. Idle temps won't be affected much, silent mode just puts the fan on a lower curve as loads get heavier. So instead of gaming at 60ish, it'd be closer to 70ish.

But yes, the 2x fan ports in the rear/top rear should have fans in them. If you look at the 2 front fans, you can see the 4x pillars holding the motor. That's the exhaust side of the fan. Meaning those fans are sucking air from outside and blowing it in. So that's what needs to be up against the case for the new fans, showing you the nice side (intake side) after they are mounted at exhaust locations, sucking case air and blowing out the heat.

Reactions: Clueless1200
Sep 7, 2019
i had a fx 6300 the fan was ok, when i upgraded to 8350 it was very noisy, amd has this problem with some stock coolers, get a cheap new one and u will be fine.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
@malafala .

The fx6300 is a 95w 6core cpu. You moved up to a 125w 8core cpu. There's no way the fx6300 stock cooler would handle that kind of power/heat differential. It is absolutely no wonder the old, smaller cooler couldn't handle the newer, much higher wattage output cpu. It was bound to run much faster speeds and be much noisier as a result.

Just saying.

Sep 7, 2019
@malafala .

The fx6300 is a 95w 6core cpu. You moved up to a 125w 8core cpu. There's no way the fx6300 stock cooler would handle that kind of power/heat differential. It is absolutely no wonder the old, smaller cooler couldn't handle the newer, much higher wattage output cpu. It was bound to run much faster speeds and be much noisier as a result.

Just saying.
actually the 6300 cooler worked for several years, then it broke i bought another one

but the 8350 right from the box was bad, i know its a bit more powerful but still the noise difference was absurd