Any way to "power-off" the left and right edges of a widescreen?

martwick

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys, I wanted to ask whether there's a way I can "cut" the left and right edges of the monitor, i.e. decrease the resolution from full hd to 1600:1200 (which is 4:3) and just scale it appropriately so that I can artificially replicate a 4:3 display by "turning off" parts of the monitor for browsing and reading, since I find the 16:9 ratio annoying for those activities (you're either left with 30% of the webpage in its background colour if its centered or you have to manually center it yourself if you don't want to look to the left at all times). I hope I got my idea across, thanks in advance.

Solution
Some monitors and video card options have a scaling option to stretch the screen to full when on a different resolution. Find that and shut it off. Then when you set your 3:4 resolution it will run it in a square with black around it.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
power off, not likely.
if it is that bothersome you could cut 2 strips of cardboard and hang on either side of the screen.

I use ctrl and + together to increase the page size until it fills the screen. this was my solution at least

martwick

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Thank you, I tinkered a bit with the AMD settings, sadly the 1600x1200 option disappeared when I turn the scaling on, since I presume 1080 < 1200, but I did manage to "center" 1680x1050 (16:10) which is still an improvement in the desired direction.