[SOLVED] Any way to rescue seemly dying SSD?

Blastoise24

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
I have a 240gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD that I had Windows on. Booting with the drive leads to the black windows loading screen with the little circle after BIOS for an eternity, followed by restarting. Recently I tried to install Linux on it, which brought up a series of errors, each of which seemed to reflect a dying drive (Input/Output error during write on /dev/sda, etc.) I've found 4 bad sectors on the drive.

Is there any way I can save this thing?

Solution
You can try and reinstall your OS and then give it a final nail in the coffin for the SSD. My other methods to see if the SSD is at fault would also to manually reinstall the chipset and necessary drivers in an elevated command(once OS is installed, this means disconnection from the internet before you input the name for the OS is installation). Often times Windows 10 does tend to conflict with other OSes, if the drivers are messed up or if Windows 10 is corrupt. I'm assuming Windows 10, mind you.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I doubt you can fix sectors, most ssd have spare sectors they will use instead but if its something like reallocated sector count, there is no way to reduce it. Best idea is using another ssd that isn't failing in 2 OS.

Lutfij

Titan
You can try and reinstall your OS and then give it a final nail in the coffin for the SSD. My other methods to see if the SSD is at fault would also to manually reinstall the chipset and necessary drivers in an elevated command(once OS is installed, this means disconnection from the internet before you input the name for the OS is installation). Often times Windows 10 does tend to conflict with other OSes, if the drivers are messed up or if Windows 10 is corrupt. I'm assuming Windows 10, mind you.

Solution

Blastoise24

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
Seems like your SSD has exhausted all available write cycles.
Get a new drive, install windows. Recover data from old drive.
Hmm... Thankfully I've been able to recover the data via booting linux on a usb and then browsing the drive, but I only used this SSD for about 1 year. Would that be enough to kill it?

edit: actually more like a year

Blastoise24

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2014
I'm going to try to reinstall windows and I'll get back

Dec 16, 2020
Hmm... Thankfully I've been able to recover the data via booting linux on a usb and then browsing the drive, but I only used this SSD for about 1 year. Would that be enough to kill it?

edit: actually more like a year

Check what the manufacturer's warranty was for it. If its say 2 years and upwards you can get that replaced.

Mar 2, 2021
The only way to recover data from SSD is to send it to data recovery laboratory. You should always make backups if you don't have at least RAID 1/5/6/10 etc. Read the full disk image with ddrescue, it will retry bad blocks and sometimes it will read all of them.

OneVanilla Card

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

The only way to recover data from SSD is to send it to data recovery laboratory. You should always make backups if you don't have at least RAID 1/5/6/10 etc. Read the full disk image with ddrescue, it will retry bad blocks and sometimes it will read all of them.
You should always make backups regardless of whatever raid you use. Raid is not a form of back up

TRENDING THREADS