[SOLVED] Any way to stop Windows update from creating new recovery partitions?

Mr Creosote

Reputable
Mar 30, 2020
My preferred setup is to have a Windows 10/Linux Mint dual boot, with as few partitions as possible. The ideal would be just one partition per operating system. I have found in the past that Windows 10 has actually borked my Linux partition by creating a new recovery partition.
I am just about to do a clean install on my laptop, so I would like to know:
Is there any way that I can squeeze Windows 10 into as few partitions as possible, and not have to worry about a future update screwing with other partitions on the drive?
If not, just how big do I have to allow the recovery partition to be to ensure that it never tries to create another new one?

I really don't need a recovery partition, many years of experience has taught me that Windows' own automated recovery processes rarely work as they should. If my OS broke to the point where it would require recovery, I would far rather just do a clean install with the latest Windows installation media. Ideally I would like to completely disable the ability to create or resize partitions while updating, but without completely disabling updates. Is this possible? It seems completely out of order for them to design an operating system and an update process that can mess around with partitions outside of the ones I've allocated to it, especially to do so with absolutely no warning during the update process.
Thanks.

Solution
It uses recovery partition for updates, when 1909 was released they said that in future it would be a certain size and used for updating. What MS found was people would use all their space on drives and then not be able to get updates.

So everytime you install a Version update of win 10, it will create that partition if it doesn't exist.

The only way to stop it is... fresh install every 6 months? Sounds to me you better off with more storage so win 10 can do what it likes and not mess with other install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It uses recovery partition for updates, when 1909 was released they said that in future it would be a certain size and used for updating. What MS found was people would use all their space on drives and then not be able to get updates.

So everytime you install a Version update of win 10, it will create that partition if it doesn't exist.

The only way to stop it is... fresh install every 6 months? Sounds to me you better off with more storage so win 10 can do what it likes and not mess with other install.

Solution