[SOLVED] Any way to toollessly mount fans on radiator?

Solution
Oh sorry, I think I should have made it more clear - what I'm thinking about is mounting the watercooling radiator to the case normally, using 10mm M3 screws, and then mounting the fans toollessly to the other side of the radiator. So only the fan attachment to the radiator would be toolless.

You'll have to fab your own and without a brake press, and an accurate hole punch you're s o l I'm afraid.

What you would do is use a c channel with flanges which the fan slides into.

At the back of the c channel you would put four holes and a 120mm hole that line up with the radiator screw holes and fan

Mount the c channel and then slide the fan in place. Bonus points if you use a 120mm grommit or felt to help seal the air flow...

KrzysiekX10

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
I've used different size zip ties in various ways to mount fans on heatsinks, exactly how depends on the specific structure of the heatsink. Tighten them up enough to hold but not so much that you bend fins.

Hmm, for me that wouldn't really work - the reason I'm looking into toolless mounting is ease of maintenance (ability to quickly remove the fan, then vacuum the fan and radiator, then quickly put the fan back). With this method you would have to get new zip ties every time, which is not ideal.

One thing I've been thinking about (although will only work with 140mm radiators) is using a 120-140mm adapter bracket (like this: https://koolance.com/120mm-to-140mm-bracket-adapter), using a 140mm fan with 120mm holes (like Noctua NF-P14 FLX or Fractal Design Venturi), attaching the fan to the 120mm holes on the bracket using toolless rubber mounts, and then attaching the bracket to the radiator via 140mm holes using regular screws. However, one problem that I see with this is that the Koolance bracket is quite thick (5mm), so I'm not sure if the rubber mounts will fit into it?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,
I was wondering, when you mount a fan on a case, you can just use rubber mounts like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acousti-AFM02B-Ultra-Soft-Mounts-26mm/dp/B003QKUGZU - however, these don't fit radiators, because of smaller mounting holes.
So does anyone know any other toolless mounting solutions, that would work on radiators?
And how will you mount the radiator on to the case or wherever?

There are screws long enough to go through the fan and the rad.
Mount it all as one piece.

Reactions: CountMike

KrzysiekX10

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014
And how will you mount the radiator on to the case or wherever?

There are screws long enough to go through the fan and the rad.
Mount it all as one piece.

Oh sorry, I think I should have made it more clear - what I'm thinking about is mounting the watercooling radiator to the case normally, using 10mm M3 screws, and then mounting the fans toollessly to the other side of the radiator. So only the fan attachment to the radiator would be toolless.

You'll have to fab your own and without a brake press, and an accurate hole punch you're s o l I'm afraid.

At the back of the c channel you would put four holes and a 120mm hole that line up with the radiator screw holes and fan

Mount the c channel and then slide the fan in place. Bonus points if you use a 120mm grommit or felt to help seal the air flow.

1_106_58932_600_600.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

KrzysiekX10

Honorable
Apr 6, 2014

Mount the c channel and then slide the fan in place. Bonus points if you use a 120mm grommit or felt to help seal the air flow.

1_106_58932_600_600.jpg

Woow, this is an incredibly creative idea! I'm pretty sure it would work perfectly for what I'm thinking of. And I don't even think it would be that hard to do - correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could just model it in SketchUp and send it over to a 3d printing company?

USAFRet

Titan
Woow, this is an incredibly creative idea! I'm pretty sure it would work perfectly for what I'm thinking of. And I don't even think it would be that hard to do - correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could just model it in SketchUp and send it over to a 3d printing company?
Can something be designed in sketchup and printed out on a printer?
Sure.

The problem lies in the exact tolerances.
Having pretty reasonable CAD experience, and awaiting delivery of my 3rd 3D printer...close tolerances like that isn't always so easy.
It often needs multiple trials to get it 'just right'.

Worth a try, though.