Question Any way to use a 9-yr-old internal DVD-Writer as an external one ??

worstalentscout

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
hi

is it possible to use a rarely used internal 9-yr-old DVD-Writer externally ?:unsure:

i've read elsewhere that people tried that using a SATA-USB adaptor.......the same one for cloning a SATA SSD...........but others say not possible.......o_O

would connecting it to the USB3.0 connector on the motherboard work better than on the computer front panel ?

hi

is it possible to use a rarely used internal 9-yr-old DVD-Writer externally ?:unsure:

i've read elsewhere that people tried that using a SATA-USB adaptor.......the same one for cloning a SATA SSD...........but others say not possible.......o_O

would connecting it to the USB3.0 connector on the motherboard work better than on the computer front panel ?
Is it a full sized (desktop) one or one from a laptop ?

worstalentscout

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
many thanks indeed......that adaptor costs more than an external DVD-drive though....... :LOL:

looks like i have to get an external player......or a pc casing which will accept optical drives.......
I used to do that but it became impractical as it was much bulky and inconvinient because of power supply. I'm using one of these now as I have no much use for CCD/DVDs any more.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compatible-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO
Drives like that are based on laptop drives so all they need is 5v from USB port.

worstalentscout

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
I used to do that but it became impractical as it was much bulky and inconvinient because of power supply. I'm using one of these now as I have no much use for CCD/DVDs any more.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compatible-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO
Drives like that are based on laptop drives so all they need is 5v from USB port.

so just plug and play ?

come to think of it......my 9yo dvd-drive would need drivers to work, right ?........it won't be plug and play then......... :cautious:

worstalentscout

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
It would be P&P in Win 10. it would be just another USB storage device for it.

that's good to hear........becoz no way i could find the drivers for the DVD-writer anymore.......

i found a pc casing that can fit an optical drive (Sharkoon brand - never heard of them before)...........it cost $14-16 more than a Tecware (no optical drive bay)........but an Acer external DVD-player cost $29.........but then again, i hardly ever use the DVD-player.......

that's good to hear........becoz no way i could find the drivers for the DVD-writer anymore.......

i found a pc casing that can fit an optical drive (Sharkoon brand - never heard of them before)...........it cost $14-16 more than a Tecware (no optical drive bay)........but an Acer external DVD-player cost $29.........but then again, i hardly ever use the DVD-player.......
I have Sharkoon PC case, 660W Modular PSU and 3 bay 3.5" removable HDD tray, all excelent.
I'd suggest a portable DVD player because it's small nad handy, hardly larger than 2 CD cases.

worstalentscout

Honorable
Nov 1, 2016
I have Sharkoon PC case, 660W Modular PSU and 3 bay 3.5" removable HDD tray, all excelent.
I'd suggest a portable DVD player because it's small nad handy, hardly larger than 2 CD cases.
i was looking at the Sharkoon S1000......problem is it's a little too long due to space constraint of the pc table....... unless i remove the original feet and put new ones on closer together (lengthwise)......

also, i can't mount any SSDs in the main compartment.......all SSDs need to be placed behind the motherboard or next to PSU.........that means i'll have to struggle with all the cables......

ASK THE COMMUNITY