[SOLVED] Any way to use a 9-yr-old internal DVD-Writer as an external one ??

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
hi

is it possible to use a rarely used internal 9-yr-old DVD-Writer externally ?:unsure:

i've read elsewhere that people tried that using a SATA-USB adaptor.......the same one for cloning a SATA SSD...........but others say not possible.......o_O

would connecting it to the USB3.0 connector on the motherboard work better than on the computer front panel ?

hi

is it possible to use a rarely used internal 9-yr-old DVD-Writer externally ?:unsure:

i've read elsewhere that people tried that using a SATA-USB adaptor.......the same one for cloning a SATA SSD...........but others say not possible.......o_O

would connecting it to the USB3.0 connector on the motherboard work better than on the computer front panel ?
Is it a full sized (desktop) one or one from a laptop ?

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
many thanks indeed......that adaptor costs more than an external DVD-drive though....... :LOL:

looks like i have to get an external player......or a pc casing which will accept optical drives.......
I used to do that but it became impractical as it was much bulky and inconvinient because of power supply. I'm using one of these now as I have no much use for CCD/DVDs any more.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compatible-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO
Drives like that are based on laptop drives so all they need is 5v from USB port.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
I used to do that but it became impractical as it was much bulky and inconvinient because of power supply. I'm using one of these now as I have no much use for CCD/DVDs any more.
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Compatible-SDRW-08D2S-U-BLK-AS/dp/B006HUMYCO
Drives like that are based on laptop drives so all they need is 5v from USB port.

so just plug and play ?

come to think of it......my 9yo dvd-drive would need drivers to work, right ?........it won't be plug and play then......... :cautious:

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
It would be P&P in Win 10. it would be just another USB storage device for it.

that's good to hear........becoz no way i could find the drivers for the DVD-writer anymore.......

i found a pc casing that can fit an optical drive (Sharkoon brand - never heard of them before)...........it cost $14-16 more than a Tecware (no optical drive bay)........but an Acer external DVD-player cost $29.........but then again, i hardly ever use the DVD-player.......

that's good to hear........becoz no way i could find the drivers for the DVD-writer anymore.......

i found a pc casing that can fit an optical drive (Sharkoon brand - never heard of them before)...........it cost $14-16 more than a Tecware (no optical drive bay)........but an Acer external DVD-player cost $29.........but then again, i hardly ever use the DVD-player.......
I have Sharkoon PC case, 660W Modular PSU and 3 bay 3.5" removable HDD tray, all excelent.
I'd suggest a portable DVD player because it's small nad handy, hardly larger than 2 CD cases.

worstalentscout

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2016
I have Sharkoon PC case, 660W Modular PSU and 3 bay 3.5" removable HDD tray, all excelent.
I'd suggest a portable DVD player because it's small nad handy, hardly larger than 2 CD cases.

i was looking at the Sharkoon S1000......problem is it's a little too long due to space constraint of the pc table....... unless i remove the original feet and put new ones on closer together (lengthwise)......

also, i can't mount any SSDs in the main compartment.......all SSDs need to be placed behind the motherboard or next to PSU.........that means i'll have to struggle with all the cables......

TRENDING THREADS