Question Any ways to test whether the cpu or the motherboard is the issue?

jimzoo2

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Hi, I am unsure how to diagnose the problem with my computer. I suppose it's best to mention I am relatively new to building computers.

Last month my psu blew with sparks and a bang, received the replacement today and reassembled the rig. When I turned it on nothing happened, no fans spinning, no mobo beeps and no debug LEDs. I have tested the new psu incase it was dead on arrival, but the fans work during a paperclip test.

I presume that when the psu blew it has damaged a component. I would guess the motherboard. No component has visual damage.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to diagnose which component is the problem. Is there a way to diagnose which of the cpu and motherboard is the problem? Assuming it's one or the other.

Anything helps, thanks.

Hi, I am unsure how to diagnose the problem with my computer. I suppose it's best to mention I am relatively new to building computers.

Last month my psu blew with sparks and a bang, received the replacement today and reassembled the rig. When I turned it on nothing happened, no fans spinning, no mobo beeps and no debug LEDs. I have tested the new psu incase it was dead on arrival, but the fans work during a paperclip test.

I presume that when the psu blew it has damaged a component. I would guess the motherboard. No component has visual damage.

So, I am wondering if there is a way to diagnose which component is the problem. Is there a way to diagnose which of the cpu and motherboard is the problem? Assuming it's one or the other.

Anything helps, thanks.
It wouldn't hurt to sniff around the motherboard....you may be able to smell something burnt.
In my experience.....when this happens...the vast majority of the time the motherboard takes the hit.
CPUs are generally pretty tough....although it could be both....but that's rare in my experience.

Reactions: jimzoo2
Can you list the make/model of your parts?
In particular, the old and new psu, motherboard,cpu and graphics card.

The paper clip test is really useless. It can confirm a dead psu, but it can not test proper operation.

Double check that your new psu cables are fully inserted correctly.
Processors do not normally fail.
If anything failed it is most likely the motherboard.
It is also possible that your new psu is defective.
Is the wall power socket properly grounded?

Reactions: jimzoo2

jimzoo2

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
Can you list the make/model of your parts?
In particular, the old and new psu, motherboard,cpu and graphics card.

The paper clip test is really useless. It can confirm a dead psu, but it can not test proper operation.

Double check that your new psu cables are fully inserted correctly.
Processors do not normally fail.
If anything failed it is most likely the motherboard.
It is also possible that your new psu is defective.
Is the wall power socket properly grounded?

Motherboard: MSI B450 tomahawk max
PSU: both times has been corsair tx750m
GPU: GIGABYTE geforce gtx 1660 super
CPU: ryzen 3600

I think it's probably a mobo problem, I mean the psu blowing was quite a drastic bang and explosion not your typical loss of power. Looks like something that might have the potential to blow another component.

Let me know what you think, thanks.