Any wifi range extender that does not change mac address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nithin ag

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
Hi Everyone,

I have a MAC address based filtering on the main router. I do not want to delegate it to the repeater / range extender.

I have used tplink tlwa854re. It works in proxy mode and assigns a virtual mac address to the devices that are connected to it. It changes its own MAC address before connecting to the main router. Since I have a MAC address filtering on my main router, the repeater isn't able to connect to it.

So, is there any wifi range extender that does not change mac address of the connected devices before it routes it to the main router?

Regards,
Nithin A G

gsanchez

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
I have the same problem with the same device. I let DHCP to be handled by the router, and disabled it on the extender of course.

The result is repeated devices on the DHCP client list (router), but with this other "virtual" MAC addresses generated by the extender. I use regularly the DHCP list to control connected devices and see if anything is suspicious.

I didn't knew about this issue before buying the extender that I must admit that work very well apart from this.

I've been searching for a solution and even asked TP-Link support.

In forums is suggested that if you have TP-Link devices (router + extender) you could try WDS. I didn't try this option yet because I want to get to know better how WDS works and how secure is it.

The other option proposed from TP-Link support is to change the SSID that the extender broadcast to a different one.

That's a little disappointing because I could do that already with other devices, the idea was to extend range without the need to reconfigure every client on my home Wi-Fi network.

I'm still deciding if I will let duplicated MACs, if I will try WDS or if I will change the SSID of the extender.

If you try some of this options please share.

Regards,
G.

Reactions: MuhammadReza
Feb 13, 2019
I have the same problem with the same device. I let DHCP to be handled by the router, and disabled it on the extender of course.

The result is repeated devices on the DHCP client list (router), but with this other "virtual" MAC addresses generated by the extender. I use regularly the DHCP list to control connected devices and see if anything is suspicious.

I didn't knew about this issue before buying the extender that I must admit that work very well apart from this.

I've been searching for a solution and even asked TP-Link support.

In forums is suggested that if you have TP-Link devices (router + extender) you could try WDS. I didn't try this option yet because I want to get to know better how WDS works and how secure is it.

The other option proposed from TP-Link support is to change the SSID that the extender broadcast to a different one.

That's a little disappointing because I could do that already with other devices, the idea was to extend range without the need to reconfigure every client on my home Wi-Fi network.

I'm still deciding if I will let duplicated MACs, if I will try WDS or if I will change the SSID of the extender.

If you try some of this options please share.

Regards,
G.

Hi G,
I have same situation here, have you found a solution yet?

Kind Regards,
Reza.

Status
Not open for further replies.