Any Word on Nvidia 6xx Series for BF3

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I need a new GPU with my system I built when SB came out. (Currently using an 8800 GTS)

I was going to purchase the 560ti for Battlefield 3 a week before it came out, but now noticing the 600 series will "hopefully" be out before the end of the year I don't want to buy the 560.

Any word on if the 600's will be out before BF3? :)

My crystal ball isn't working right now.

There's always something better coming out, if you keep waiting you'll never buy anything.

Just because a new card is labeled 6 series does not mean it will be faster than 5 series. It depends on what model you buy. For instance a HD5850 is faster than a HD6850. Also a GTX480 is faster than a GTX550ti.

You get what you pay for regardless of the model number, your paying per it's performance.

Oh really?
We have now acquired information that says the same about AMD. The launch has been moved from 2011 to 2012 due to high demand for the HD 6000 series, and capacity problems.
And if you take the time to read the article it's worth noting that the bit in bold might be porkie pies too.

Source.

G

Sorry but there will be 28nm techprocess on nvidia 6xx/amd 7xxx series. It's amazingly huge difference to 40nm cards, probably much bigger that that of 40nm cards to 55nm cards.

freeloader93

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011

It might be faster, but the visual quality on screen isn't as good with the 5850 and 6850 the newer cards will last for a long time because its a dx 11 compared to the dx10 and the jumps between these two are quite signifigant.

Sorry but there will be 28nm techprocess on nvidia 6xx/amd 7xxx series. It's amazingly huge difference to 40nm cards, probably much bigger that that of 40nm cards to 55nm cards.

And that changes my point how? Actully 28 to 40nm is less difference than 55 to 40nm. Diff of 15nm vs diff of 12nm. Check your math buddy.

Regarless of what the nm is, there will be 7XXX series cards that are slower than some 6XXX series cards. That's fact.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

What?

The HD 5850 has DX11 and is faster than the HD 6850, it is on par with the HD 5870, the HD 5830, which also has DX11, is comparable to the HD 6850, and the HD 5870, is as fast/faster than the HD 6950.

Image quality does not change whatsoever between cards.

G

:p I thought you might say that, my math is okay.

40/28 is 1.43 and 55/40 is 1.375

The percentage is what's important. Also I'm expecting to see additional room for overclocking as 28nm is supposed to be running much cooler.

Sure there will be $100 28nm cards that will run a bit slower than $200 40nm cards. There's a difference in price vs performance.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

The percentage is what's important. Also I'm expecting to see additional room for overclocking as 28nm is supposed to be running much cooler.

Sure there will be $100 28nm cards that will run a bit slower than $200 40nm cards. There's a difference in price vs performance.

+1

The new cards will easily beat the old ones, the 7870 looks like a 6970 except clocked a lot higher and will probably run cooler too. So the 7950 and 7970 performance will undoubedly be a lot better than the current gen going by the released specs

Your not getting it. I did NOT say there won't be 7XXX cards that are faster than 6XXX series cards.

I said there will be some 7XXX series cards that will be slower than some 6XXX cards. Just like there were 3XXX that were faster than some 4XXX and some 4XXX were faster than some 5XXX and some 5XXX are faster than some 6XXX and so on.

You guys completely missed my point regarding the OP's question.

His question was should he wait for the new series and it depends on which model your going to buy. My point was to him that just cause the number is higher and it's newer, doesn't mean it's faster. You going to pay according to it's performance no matter which you buy.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

http://semiaccurate.com/static/uploads/2010/09_september/NV_roadmap_small.png

Granted the kepler and maxwell points are estimates by nvidia but what normally happens is they release their flagship card (they wont be this time though .. .they are releasing 2 fermi cards for laptops on the 28nm process first) and then release lesser, more mainstream, cards after. So yes a 480 will beat a 550 but thats because the 480 was the flagship and the 550 is the mainstream card. You cant compare the two.

The rough estimates on speed and power for the 28nm from 40nm is 50% more transistors (equating to ~45% speed) and 40% more power efficient. Whether or not its a bigger jump isnt the issue its whether or not you can get 50% more speed of the fermi cards at half the power consumption.

On the topic of 55 to 40 Ive had both an 8800gtx and a 250 ... which are literally the same chip just before and after the die shrink. The 8800 needed 2 plugs and the 250 only needs one. They get damned near the same fps in game so what that means is that there's more room to grow with the smaller die obviously. So if we are going from 40 to 28 now you're gonna be looking at giving cards like the 580 more headroom to go faster.

The point of waiting for the new card is that its 3-4 months away ... if it was 6 months after the launch and the new card was 6-18months away... no dont wait. But when its this close you'll kick yourself if you upgrade now. The other side of the coin is if the benchies arent all that great compared to what was expected... you can still pick up the card you were going to get prior to launch but cheaper than you would have paid if you got it before the new card came out.

G

I got it.

True. However it's always better to wait for the next generation than buy existing generation that has been released 2-3 quarters ago, and the next generation is coming in 1-2 quarters. It's going to be more price/performance efficient and will enable you to stay on top of the line for a bit longer. That is if you're happy with your current setup and upgrading it is not a necessity.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I prefer to wait until the Early Adopters gave praises to a product over a short time, say 6 months before buying.

In my case, I did not wait. I bought what I thought was the best available now. It's already a fact of life in my home to replace hardware/upgrade within a year or few.

CrisisCauser

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Get a 560 Ti or 6950. Anything above that has really bad price-to-performance ratio. 570 and 6970 cost too much to be worth the extra performance, imo. Get whichever is cheaper, unless you want Nvidia only features - that's the most common sense approach.

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Which 560 Ti? MSI Hawk or EVGA. Any Nvidia right now gives out Arkham City for free woot, so I might as well buy now than wait till next month

As a technical correction, the 28/40/55nm refers to the diameter of the chip.
It must be squared to get the area of the chip.
When you do the math, you will find that 40nm is about twice the size of 28nm, and that 55nm is twice the size of 40nm.
A big difference.

As to the OP's question, I suggest getting whatever will do the job right now. Preferably the strongest card he is willing to pay for.
The market is very competitive, and you get fair value at whatever price point.
When the new cards come out, they must compete with the old cards on a price performance basis.
The advantage to amd and nvidia will be the smaller chip which should be smaller, cheaper to produce, be more power efficient, and possibly stronger by making use of more chip acerage.

As a possible hedge, look an EVGA cards, they have a 90 day trade up program.
But, in my experience, the new cards come out past the 90 days:(.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I went with the MSI Lightning Extreme cards the 580 ones in SLI. 1200 dollars for the things is all I care to spend on any one device for a build. The true test will be the BF3 beta.

I am already planning small changes to the CPU Cooler and fans etc to extract more heat out of everything. Gaming with the Video cards at 48C and the CPU at 55 is nice, but those can be reduced further.

The timing of their announcement might make it seem that way but I think they've known that there was a problem for a while now, its just that this gives them a way to save face considering some of the issues they've been accused of having with BD.