[SOLVED] Any worthwhile upgrade?

ABud

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I'm wondering if there's any upgrade possible to my PC which will add meaningful performance. I run iRacing (30-60fps) and FSX (all over the place lol). Current spec is:

Gigabyte P55A UD3 mobo
Intel i5-760 cpu @ 3Ghz
2x GTX 460 gpu SLi
8GB ram

Was wondering either about finding an old i7 cpu (will it fit LGA1156 socket) or something like a GTX 1050 ti (this won't help FSX much). Sadly can't afford a new build.

Solution
Geeze those are all old components, for a second I thought you mispelled the 760 when you meant 7600 but apparently not. Honestly upgrading the GPU will definitely boost fps more than a cpu upgrade most of the time, especially since you have sli which is rarely supported nowadays. So go that route first, alternatively, I recommend penny pinching as much as you can to upgrade your entire rig, you'd be surprised how easy it is to buy a substantially powerful rig for 1000-1500$
Geeze those are all old components, for a second I thought you mispelled the 760 when you meant 7600 but apparently not. Honestly upgrading the GPU will definitely boost fps more than a cpu upgrade most of the time, especially since you have sli which is rarely supported nowadays. So go that route first, alternatively, I recommend penny pinching as much as you can to upgrade your entire rig, you'd be surprised how easy it is to buy a substantially powerful rig for 1000-1500$

Solution

ABud

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
As cheap as possible, especially as the parts would have to be second hand. I might see if I can get £400 together and then buy a new CPU, Mobo & RAM. I'd have to stick with the GTX 460s for a while though - £600 is defo out of range. Maybe a Ryzen 5 setup? Would still be way better than my i5 PC even with the GPU bottleneck.