Any you guys listen to Christian rock?

SaltyUser199

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
I do not very often, but sometime around ~2012 I was listening to a Christian rock station. They had some pretty good music on back then! Not as good today, but I still listen from time to time.

Anyways, I'm trying to find a song that was on the radio back then. Catchy tune, and the guy had a real low, raspy voice. The only line I remember in the whole song was something like "when the battle lines will be drawn" or something like that. The voice of the singer sounds most like the lead singer of NeedtoBreathe, but I spent half the day going through their songs on youtube and can't find it, probably not them. But voice very similar.

I was listening to it around 2012 or 2013, but it may have come out way earlier. No idea.

I appreciate any help!!!

Don’t remember that song. If you like an older rock sound, search for a group called David and the Giants. I think in the 70s they were a secular group and changed to being a Christian group. As of a few years ago the lead singer was in his 70s and still touring. Not sure if that’s still the case.

A couple of other options, check out older 3rd day stuff. For example their album called Conspiracy #5. I don’t know if you have ever listened to Petra but they are an older group probably from the 80s-90s. I’m sure there are many others but these are the big ones I remember. May also look up big tent revival.

If you like more praise and worship/choir music, disclaimer I’m Pentecostal, but look up Indiana Bible College, or Urshan College (formerly called Gateway). Another very talented guy was Mark Condon. I think he actually pastors a Church now. You should be able to sample a lot of these on YouTube as I think a lot of the stuff is posted out there.

I used to listen to some songs from the band 'SKILLET' and 'Kutless'. Some of their tracks had a very powerful lyrical theme.

Then there is a band which goes by the name of STRYPER. Although, we call them more of a Christian Metal band, their music covers similar themes as the Christian Rock genre, and for that they are mostly labelled as a Christian Rock band, and in some cases Christian METAL band as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L19kvFKcDTQ&ab_channel=MetalK

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzlULDk9YFM&ab_channel=FrontiersMusicsrl

Since we talking about music, I would like to point this out as well..

As odd this may sound, we also have a sub-genre in METAL, which has the exact same musical theme, and lyrics as the Christian Rock genre. More like UN-black Metal, Heavenly Metal, WHITE Rock/Metal, and like mentioned before, this particular genre's lyrical themes are mostly the same as Christian Rock.

But more on this controversial genre and the musical style here later on.

Last edited:

SaltyUser199

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Thanks so much everyone! I found it. It was indeed NeedtoBreathe. I went through their stuff again and found it right away this time. I was remembering it a little wrong. Start at like 2:45 in the attached and it comes at like 3:05. But I just like the song. Now I've got to check out the other songs you guys mentioned! Thanks!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91iXRMkmFbs

Apr 1, 2023
The only genre they listen to is Skillet. But on the recommendation of the users in this thread I decided to listen to Kutless as well. I liked it very much.