Question Anybody good with old rebuilt computers?

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I took out drives from 2006 Intel Core 2.6 Duo computer with 8GB of memory and installed small SSD and new HDD. It was working great, I was rebuilding it for poor friend who wanted to make music. The system was working so good that I installed many music production software titles and recording software on it. Well- he was not using it because he got other solution, and I wanted to give it to my mother for occasional use. My mind goes blank at this point- I can't remember what I did to it. I might of take one of drives out- I just can't remember what I did. Today, it has 128GB Samsung SSD and 1TB Seagate drive. I could have 3rd drive- I am not sure. So today- I can't make it do anything. From the time I was rebuilding it, it had issue with trying to find some mysterious drive and keep saying SATA 1 is missing. But I think that came from the time when it used to be Dell- I had 2X 250GB drives in RAID, so when I wanted it to be non-raid- it was looking for missing drive. It would offer press F1 to continue and after long wait it would boot. So today- I got tired of waiting and switched my Boot SSD from SATA 4 to SATA 1. The Seagate is still in SATA 0. I disabled SATA 4. So now it does not look for SATA 1, it boots, but after it boots- nothing works. I open Chrome, it just hanging. I want to click on Start- it hanging. The only time I saw computers do that is when they had VIRUS. Virus is possible becauise the Antivirus (Norton and Webroot) I had installed was not updated and expired. But computer was not in use at all. It was turned off all this time. The other week I turned it on and it was showing that Norton is expired but things were working. All I did today was chenging SATA from 4 to 1, disabling and enabling RAID from RAID to "Raid Autodetect/ATA". It did say that changing it may cause OS not boot, and it could not boot at all, so I changed it back to RAID. Everything I massed with today is reverted back to what it was last week other than SATA 4 changed to SATA 1 for Boot drive. And it boots, but does not do anything. Is it Virus? Or is it obsolete? I would reinstall VISTA Ultimate again, but I do not remember where is my serial or disk for it, so it would be hard... Thank you.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Can you identify the computers model name or the motherboard?
Could your boot SSD be running out of free space?
Try booting up with only the boot drive connected to see if you still have the same problems.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Thank you for your reply.
I did not have time to work on it for few days, it was left on. I came to it, and it was working fine. I installed Norton, ran virus scan and it was negative. (not that it proves that there is no virus). But it was working fine. I restarted it. It takes a while to restart (not like Win 19)- it is Vista, however, after Vista initial screen where it loading, it went to black screen with only cursor arrow. And it sits like this, nothing happens. I suspect, it may come alive in a few hours, or not.

The C drive has at least 49Gb free. The M drive is almost full, but should not be an issue.

Computer is Dell Dimension 9200. I did install some drivers from their web site- best I could figure out- it was at least 2 years ago. Thank you.

What do the 4 Green diagnostic lights on the front of your PC show when the bootup stalls?

Diagnostic Lights;
- To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four Green lights labeled 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the front panel. When the computer starts normally, the lights flash before turning off. If the computer malfunctions, the sequence of the lights help to identify the problem.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS