Question Anybody heard of battery acid on psu plug?

Feb 24, 2020
Hardware Utente
1 minuto fa
Aggiungi preferito
Hey guys

I have a very unusual issue with my computer.

After my home life saver switch turned everything off i noticed it was due to my pc. I disconnected my psu cable and the whole thing is drenched in a light blue crystal-like fluid. This was obviously short cicuiting. In the interior of my pc there is no sign of leakage from my cooler master AIO pump. Only at the rear inside my usb ports and a whole heap of this stuff in the psu plug.

Searched on the net and could not find anything. It looks like battery acid.

Now my psu sits at the bottom so if it was my psu i dont see how the usb ports wich sit above it could have this stuff.

After a thorough clean everything works fine even after 5 hrs of gaming. But still got me thinking.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

It is most likely oil from a capacitor, they expand when failing and can explode like a firecracker or they can split and spray hot oil. Touch the liquid is it oily or does it burn a bit?
Look for a can style capacitor that is split or swollen to find the bad component. I'd guess power supply near the plug.

Reactions: aldan
Hardware Utente
1 minuto fa
Aggiungi preferito
Hey guys

I have a very unusual issue with my computer.

After my home life saver switch turned everything off i noticed it was due to my pc. I disconnected my psu cable and the whole thing is drenched in a light blue crystal-like fluid. This was obviously short cicuiting. In the interior of my pc there is no sign of leakage from my cooler master AIO pump. Only at the rear inside my usb ports and a whole heap of this stuff in the psu plug.

Searched on the net and could not find anything. It looks like battery acid.

Now my psu sits at the bottom so if it was my psu i dont see how the usb ports wich sit above it could have this stuff.

After a thorough clean everything works fine even after 5 hrs of gaming. But still got me thinking.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

Got pictures?

Sure it's not just corrosion?

Battery acid is liquid, but it is corrosive. Maybe you're mistaking corrosion with the actual acid that tends to cause corrosion?

It is most likely oil from a capacitor, they expand when failing and can explode like a firecracker or they can split and spray hot oil. Touch the liquid is it oily or does it burn a bit?
Look for a can style capacitor that is split or swollen to find the bad component. I'd guess power supply near the plug.

Computers do not use oil filled capacitors. Oil filled capacitors are filled with oil to cool large capacitors and to insulate its high voltages. Oil would not make a good electrolyte.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020
Ok so i see no oil or any crytaline substance inside anywhere on the motherboard. The only trace of this stuff is inside the usb ports and a whole heap inthe actual psu plug (meaning i have to unplug the cable and it sits inside the three pins) it is sticky light blue and similar colour of radiator coolant, but with a crystal formation. Same kind of crystals formed on cr battery terminals. Its almost as though my pc got coronavirus and has a bloody cold. Ill keep searching for swollen capacitors...but i doubt my pc would function properly if that was the case

Feb 24, 2020
Checked out corrosion on the net i get rust colour corrosion. This is white like powder.....all around the audio inputs, inside usb ports and on psu plug pin. Motherboard is an Asus Z97 deluxe and psu: Corsair HX1200i. This should be and idication as to what capacitors are used. No capacitors on mb seem swollen.

Ideas:
Where is the radiator of the AIO located?
Could any liquid have traveled down the cord?
Was the computer splashed at all - Have you had a party recently - Any drooly dogs around?
Different corrosion looks different, on steel or iron it is rust brown on copper brass is is white or green and can be a powder.
So clean out socket and wipe with q-tip and try out.

Checked out corrosion on the net i get rust colour corrosion. This is white like powder.....all around the audio inputs, inside usb ports and on psu plug pin. Motherboard is an Asus Z97 deluxe and psu: Corsair HX1200i. This should be and idication as to what capacitors are used. No capacitors on mb seem swollen.

Because it's not capacitors.

So.. You know what corrosion on a car battery looks like, but you look up corrosion and see pictures of "rust" (probably iron oxide) and assume it's not corrosion.

Ok... Logic train has left the station on this one... I'm out.

Most computers use solid capacitors. Doubt its corrosion from that.

Corrosion does come in many forms.

On a car made of steel, you will see rust that is usually reddish in color.
The statue of liberty is made of copper and has corroded. Now it is very green.
An instrument like a saxophone made of brass will generally get greenish corrosion.

Can you upload a photo of the corrosion?

I have removed corrosion off of battery terminals, screws, and other items using vinegar. You could put some apple cider vinegar on a Q-tip and wipe it on the contacts to clean them off.

Feb 24, 2020
Most computers use solid capacitors. Doubt its corrosion from that.

Corrosion does come in many forms.

On a car made of steel, you will see rust that is usually reddish in color.
The statue of liberty is made of copper and has corroded. Now it is very green.
An instrument like a saxophone made of brass will generally get greenish corrosion.

Can you upload a photo of the corrosion?

I have removed corrosion off of battery terminals, screws, and other items using vinegar. You could put some apple cider vinegar on a Q-tip and wipe it on the contacts to clean them off.
Ok so i understand some usb ports might be subject to corrosion....but a fluid like sticky light blue substance inside the psu plug is my question. And nowhere inside the pc....enough of this stuff to short circuit

TRENDING THREADS