Question Anybody setup RAID 0 on MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge WIFI mobo?

smithchrism

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Hello,

I wanted to pick everyone's brain a bit.

Long story short, I am considering installing two M.2 SSD Drives in my system. See thread subject and my specs below for the motherboard I have.

I have an outstanding history with Samsung SSD products. I currently have one M.2 SSD drive in my system. I'd get a second but they no longer make the model. So, I'm leaning in the direction of getting two 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drives, 1 TB each.

I need the storage space which is why I'm doing this. I considered a single 2 TB drive, but two drives can save some money (about a $100!!) and I like the potential speed improvements using RAID 0.

Has anyone setup two similar drives on this motherboard in RAID 0? Are there any issues or anything else I should be aware of?

Any thoughts and advice on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Smith

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
"the potential speed improvements using RAID 0 "

Not so much with solid state drives, even less so with NVMe drives.

As for space? What is the use case that requires a single addressable 2TB space, that can't be done with 1+1?
Windows and applications have gotten really good with managing 2 different drives and drive letters.

smithchrism

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Yeah, I'm not going to argue much against this. I will say I prefer 1 drive versus two separate ones.

I would not expect mind blowing speed improvement in RAID 0 using this setup but there wouldn't much of any speed improvement?

Maybe I should just splurge and get a PCIe 4.0 2 TB NVMe drive then.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Yeah, I'm not going to argue much against this. I will say I prefer 1 drive versus two separate ones.

I would not expect mind blowing speed improvement in RAID 0 using this setup but there wouldn't much of any speed improvement?

Maybe I should just splurge and get a PCIe 4.0 2 TB NVMe drive then.
An older test, but I've seen nothing since that contradicts this:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

With NVMe drives, even less:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449.html

A single drive is easier to manage, until you need to do a reinstall for whatever reason.
I prefer individual drives....1 for the OS and applications, other drive for other things. Other people perfer a large single. All up to you.

smithchrism

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Just an FYI,

My motherboard has a PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot. One anyway. See this:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15352/ces-2020-samsung-980-pro-pcie-40-ssd-makes-an-appearance

Like I said, I have an outstanding history with Samsung SSD/M.2 products. I'll wait for this and pick one up. The release of this maybe pushed out due to COVID.19 I suspect, but I can wait for it.

I'll be more than happy with that. I'll keep my current 1 TB M.2 as well to hold data and to make backups too.

Thanks for the input.

Chris Smith

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS