News Anycubic 3D printers hacked in bold attempt to inform owners of security hole

Nov 3, 2023
Anycubic is in the header image of that article, which lists both the Anycubic Photon Mono 2 and Anycubic Photon Mono M5s as some of the best printers.

Writer here- that's my bad! I didn't write that roundup, thus I skimmed the "Quick List" at the beginning, which only covers the first 11 entries of that list- 12 and 13 are the two Anycubic printers you've identified in that piece. Will fix soon!

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
3D printers are expensive machines, and according to the hacked message left, the exploit could effectively be used to "rm (presumably Unix "rm", or remove files) your whole printer" or place a startup script inside of it.
Depending on the specific hardware in the printer, much more malicious exploits are possible. If hotend heater thermal runaway protection is not independent of the printer firmware, the printer could be maliciously commanded to constant maximum heating power - best case scenario there is a permanently damaged hotend, worst case is a fire spreading to the rest of the house. Axis motors can be driven to repeatedly slam into the ends of travel at maximum speed, etc. Damage can be far worse than just deleting a few gcode files left on the printer.